Question Regarding Application of a Performance Based Bonus Plan

My question involves employment and labor law for the state of: California

Hello all,

Seeking information and what options to pursue regarding application of a performance based bonus plan.

Currently employed in a financial services company as director of internet marketing, my responsibilities are lead generation using online marketing, where leads are sent to the company’s sales department. My compensation plan involves a salary and performance based bonus plan. The bonus plan is triggered for new direct policy in excess of the monthly average over the last three years. All lead sources including, direct mail, existing policy holders, and referrals are included in the calculation for the bonus plan.

What is prompting this post is the company started a program, where leads are generated from a referral channel. This source is not included in my bonus calculation even though I was involved with the web site where leads are generated.

In addition to the above, the company had acquired an additional brokerage to handle those leads the parent company was not able to close (due to its underwriting standards) and sends those leads to its sister company.

My question is, am I eligible to receive bonuses for the sales in either the new program or sister company?

Default Re: Regarding Application of a Performance Based Bonus Plan

Since I have read neither your compensation agreement nor your company bonus plan, I have no idea. This is not a wage and hour issue; this is a contract issue.

Thank you for the feedback. Sorry if posted in the wrong sub-forum.

Included in my offer letter was how the bonus plan was structured, no other documents concerning the bonus plan were/have been provided. My compensation agreement was in place prior the start of new program and the acquisition of the sister company. Trying to get input on how best to proceed.

You missed my point. I was not chastising you for posting in the wrong place, I was pointing out that without having read both agreement in full, (meaning your contract and the documentation regarding the leads referral program) it is not possible to give a conclusive answer to your question.

Understood. No offense taken. The agreement was only spelled out in my offer letter only; I posted the only sentence relevant to the bonus plan: "The bonus plan is triggered for new direct policy in excess of the monthly average over the last three years."

In my interpretation, I'm eligible to receive a bonus for all sales. The company might have a different viewpoint.

Just wondering best course of action to take before I broach the subject with them.

Very much appreciate all feedback.

1. Sponsored Links