Default How Can I Find Out if My Ex Divorced Me

My question involves a marriage in the state of: California, LA County

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to read. My ex and I separated five years ago after being married for several years but neither of us took the time to actually go through divorce proceedings. I admittedly got very irresponsible in that regard and just enjoyed life without him. And since I had no desire to get married any time soon, the thought of taking care of the divorce never crossed my mind. Its been so many years since we separated with zero contact except for some very angry words to each other the month or two following our separation, that I'm not sure if my ex took it upon himself to get us divorced without saying anything to me. Since in California you really only need to show proof that you attempted to get in contact with the other party, you can pretty much get divorced without the other person even knowing if you use an old address they don't live at anymore.

Before I go spend the hundreds of dollars to get the divorce finalized, is there anything I can do to see if he put the divorce through already?

Default Re: How Can I Find Out if My Ex Divorced Me

Quote Quoting Coyotegirl
    View Post
    My question involves a marriage in the state of: California, LA County

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to read. My ex and I separated five years ago after being married for several years but neither of us took the time to actually go through divorce proceedings. I admittedly got very irresponsible in that regard and just enjoyed life without him. And since I had no desire to get married any time soon, the thought of taking care of the divorce never crossed my mind. Its been so many years since we separated with zero contact except for some very angry words to each other the month or two following our separation, that I'm not sure if my ex took it upon himself to get us divorced without saying anything to me. Since in California you really only need to show proof that you attempted to get in contact with the other party, you can pretty much get divorced without the other person even knowing if you use an old address they don't live at anymore.

Before I go spend the hundreds of dollars to get the divorce finalized, is there anything I can do to see if he put the divorce through already?
    Do you know whether or not he remained in the same area? If he did, then checking with the courthouse in that area would be your first step. If he has moved around however, your best bet would be to track him down and ask him.

Default Re: How Can I Find Out if My Ex Divorced Me

If you were never served with divorce papers, odds are you're still married.

1. Sponsored Links