Default A House Guest Left Property and Moved Across the Country, is It Mine Now

My question involves personal property located in the State of: Oklahoma

About four months ago, my wife's nephew came to stay for a bit. He ended up staying two months. He was a jerk the whole time he stayed with us. When he left, he left multiple boxes of stuff at our house. He has since moved to Washington. I've kinda looked through some of the stuff a lot of it is just garbage. But some of it looks to be quiet valuable. I was curious if there was a specific time frame for him to get his stuff before I could legally take it.

Default Re: A House Guest Left Property and Moved Cross Country, is It Mine Now

It appears you have two types of property to deal with. Here is the statute:
    §130. Abandoning, surrendering or eviction from possession of dwelling unit—Disposition of personal property
    http://www.ok.gov/OREC/documents/Lan...t%20Update.pdf

Default Re: A House Guest Left Property and Moved Cross Country, is It Mine Now

I see no indication that the house guest was a tenant, such that the tenant could be said to have abandoned a rental unit, although if the defendant is served with eviction proceedings and defaults or loses the statute would apply.

Default Re: A House Guest Left Property and Moved Across the Country, is It Mine Now

After 30 days the law becomes somewhat blurred based on the claims of the parties involved. OP could certainly make the argument, however, if the nephew were to make the argument he was a tenant and provided resources for the house as compensation, I doubt OP will be able to honestly assure a judge nephew never contributed to the households expenses.

Default Re: A House Guest Left Property and Moved Across the Country, is It Mine Now

Has your wife contacted her nephew and told him he needs to make arrangements to get his stuff?

all my wife's nephew says is that he expects us to mail all the boxes to him. I get the feeling he doesn't intend to compensate us for the mailing. So I've told my wife were not mailing the boxes until he send us the shipping cost or at least some earnest money towards the shipping costs, which he is refusing to do.

Quote Quoting Disagreeable
    View Post
    After 30 days the law becomes somewhat blurred based on the claims of the parties involved.
    Perhaps when it comes to getting the longer-term occupant out of the home, as the police may decline to help. But the guy is gone and, if he never paid rent, he was not a tenant. It's not as if he is claiming wrongful eviction or trying to regain possession, and if his property is destroyed or otherwise lost he can do just fine with a theory of a gratuitous bailment. One way or another, as previously indicated, evicting him as a tenant would cover the issue of what can happen with his property.
    Quote Quoting yuchscha
    View Post
    all my wife's nephew says is that he expects us to mail all the boxes to him. I get the feeling he doesn't intend to compensate us for the mailing. So I've told my wife were not mailing the boxes until he send us the shipping cost or at least some earnest money towards the shipping costs, which he is refusing to do.
    Will anybody else in the family take them on his behalf?

No, the only other close relatives want nothing to do with him and his parents live in South Dakota and don't want to come get it. And honestly, even if they lived closer, I don't think they'd come get it anyway. No one else wants it but him. I mostly just want it out of my house. I just wanted to see there were any legal issues where if I did throw it out, he couldn't come back later and try to sue me for it. He never paid rent, nor did he ever contribute in buying food or toiletries.

Quote Quoting yuchscha
    View Post
    No, the only other close relatives want nothing to do with him and his parents live in South Dakota and don't want to come get it. And honestly, even if they lived closer, I don't think they'd come get it anyway. No one else wants it but him. I mostly just want it out of my house. I just wanted to see there were any legal issues where if I did throw it out, he couldn't come back later and try to sue me for it. He never paid rent, nor did he ever contribute in buying food or toiletries.
    I honestly understand why you are taking the stand that you are taking, but seriously, if I were in your shoes I would just mail the boxes.

1. Sponsored Links