Unhappy Protecting Freelance Blog Content

A blog run by a single person is not attributing content I wrote for them despite an initial agreement to attribute with my name and a URL to my site. There were no formalities or contracts involved but some of the content was paid for, with the understanding I'd have credit. Some content which previously had attribution was edited to not include it.

I did not comment on my concerns about the attribution at first and just ignored it, to prevent a bad relationship with the blog owner.

> Is the blog owner allowed to legally remove attribution and keep the content against my will?
    > Is it reasonable or legal to pursue the take down of the content (or restoration of attribution)?
    > The blog owner has ignored all forms of email contact. What steps should I take next if I am being ignored?

Thanks in advance.
    - Lemon

Default Re: Protecting Freelance Blog Content

What the blog owner can and cannot do under your license will depend on the terms of the license. You should have your contract in front of you, assuming you formalized the terms of the license, and that's where you'll find your answers as to what you agreed the blog owner can and cannot do.

If the content is properly licensed, filing a take-down notice may violate your duties under the license. Depending on the terms of the license the blog owner may be able to successfully file a counter-notice, even if you are challenging their full compliance with the license.

If somebody isn't responding to your emails, you can consider other forms of contact - text message, telephone, letter....

Default Re: Protecting Freelance Blog Content

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    What the blog owner can and cannot do under your license will depend on the terms of the license. You should have your contract in front of you, assuming you formalized the terms of the license, and that's where you'll find your answers as to what you agreed the blog owner can and cannot do.
    This was not formalized on paper, the whole situation has been casual.

Our agreement for my attribution was informal and since I created the content I thought, by default, I'd have the rights to be credited for my work. Is this not true? At no point did I give permission for anyone to use my work without attribution.

Can he do what he wants with my blog posts because I did not outline the conditions? I didn't think I had to specify this, I thought I had some immediate rights to what I created and the person acknowledged this until recently.

1. Sponsored Links