Question Copyright Usage Over the Internet, Across International Borders

I am in a particularly irritating situation right now, and I need some advice. I am a small time software developer focusing on restaurant management software. We have a piece of software we have created and copyrighted in the US (we are in Utah, to be exact), and it has been out for about a year. It has come to my attention that there is a site with multiple mirrors that is offering our main software package for free download. It is not a torrent or anything similar, it is an exact rip of the CDs that we sell.

I did a little investigation into the website to find the owner (there was no contact information anywhere on the website itself), and found that the site and its mirrors are hosted in other countries. Namely, Italy, Saudi Arabia, Russia, and Singapore. I have contacted all of the hosts that I could find, and have yet to receive a reply from any of them. Whoever is distributing this was foolish enough to not have a private domain registration, and I found that the domain itself is registered to someone in Texas. My suspicion is that he has put up the site on these foreign servers to prevent me from taking any legal action against him. Is there anything I can do in this situation to get the sites shut down?

Default Re: Copyright usage over the internet/international borders

Contact a lawyer about bringing a legal action against the registered owner. Also, consider making a criminal complaint for software piracy.

I realize that I may be able to pursue some actions within the US legal system, but my concern is mainly about the fact that the data is all on foreign soil. We sell the product in both Russia and Italy, so he could have ripped the CDs, purchased the domain and hosting, and created the site from either of those countries. If that is the case, do I have any legal recourse here, considering the bulk of the crime was/is committed in another country?

Contact lawyers in those nations about your legal rights and remedies.

1. Sponsored Links