Unhappy Foreign Driver's Insurance Won't Cover Rental Car Accident Damage

I am from abroad and came to the US to volunteer and to travel for several months. I rented a car (Declined rental insurance because my personal insurance, purchased in US, said they would cover rental) and was in involved in an accident that was clearly my fault and had a police report written at the site, which is located a bit over a day's worth of driving from my residence. I then called my insurance and they declined to cover the accident because of several technicalities that I did not foresee (Originally they told me that I did not have to add the vehicle to my policy if I'm just renting it for a few days, but after the accident they did not want to honor this but I'm sure they have a recording of the conversation somewhere). I provided a debit card when renting the car, and I was on my international license, per police report, but received a local adult driving permit the week before the accident. At this point, I have received notification from both the other party's attorney and from the rental company. I understand that the other party has double sided insurance so I could do my best to come up with a deductible for her, but I simply don't have the funds to compensate for both cars' damage as I was depending on my insurance to kick in. I guess I could just ignore everything for a few months, close my bank account, loose my US license, and hopefully won't get stopped at the airport, but what are my real options?

Default Re: Foreign Driver's Insurance Won't Cover Accident Damage

It's not clear what type of insurance you are describing when you say "personal insurance", and we have no access to your insurance contract to verify what you were required to do when renting a car to ensure that you were covered. Read your policy carefully. As you probably rented with a debit card, you can also check to see if you received any insurance as perk of using the card - depending on the brand of card and perks offered by your bank, you may have obtained basic rental insurance when you used the card.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    It's not clear what type of insurance you are describing when you say "personal insurance", and we have no access to your insurance contract to verify what you were required to do when renting a car to ensure that you were covered. Read your policy carefully. As you probably rented with a debit card, you can also check to see if you received any insurance as perk of using the card - depending on the brand of card and perks offered by your bank, you may have obtained basic rental insurance when you used the card.
    It was commercial auto insurance-sorry, should've been more clear- through one of the major companies (AAA/Allstate/etc.) just don't want to be too specific because of the ongoing case...it was one-sided and it was covering another car at the time as well, provided to me by the location where I volunteer. I'll have to check with BofA about the debit card but I thought usually credit cards take care of these things. In any case, my friend used his card so it'll be a bit twisted because I was the one driving.

There is no such thing as an "International Drivers License". Many illegals purchase the licenses over the internet and when they produce the license to the police when stoppedf they immediately go to Jail.

Quote Quoting Thechap1
    View Post
    There is no such thing as an "International Drivers License". Many illegals purchase the licenses over the internet and when they produce the license to the police when stoppedf they immediately go to Jail.
    An international drivers license (Issued abroad) is the translation of a local license into English. It, alone, does not grant you any rights whatsoever; it must be presented in conjunction with the actual foreign license and therefore grants an individual the right to operate a vehicle in the USA even if their license is from Germany, per se. Otherwise I would be writing this from jail, going by your logic.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, the title shouldn't read "Foreign Driver's Insurance"...it's corporate insurance purchased by my organization.

You're not a foreign national?

View Post
    You're not a foreign national?
    I am on US soil for a year, volunteering for an organization. I have a home (foreign) driver's license, a translation of it (making it an international license), and recently received a local state license as well. My insurance is corporate and is provided for me by the local organization where I volunteer but I've been having issues with the claim.

You have chosen not to tell us much about your policy and, quite obviously, we only know what you tell us. If you want to know what the policy covers, you will need to read it or show it to somebody who can explain it to you.

View Post
    You have chosen not to tell us much about your policy and, quite obviously, we only know what you tell us. If you want to know what the policy covers, you will need to read it or show it to somebody who can explain it to you.
    Right, as I mentioned they do not want to cover anything but I have yet to look into the debit card's insurance add-on's so essentially what are the best/worst case scenarios here? If I was to assume, it's probably around $4000 damage to my car and $8000 to the other vehicle...Quite obviously I didn't come here to argue or agitate anyone, I simply don't want to be deported but at the same time I don't want to have to pay out of pocket for something originating from a technicality.

1. Sponsored Links