Default Why Can't Non-Religious People Claim a Religious Exemption from the Law

My question involves civil rights in the State of: CA

I am here to see if you believe there is a case to argue that the health share ministry exemptions written into obamacare are unconstitutional. The exemptions are unconstitutional and the ramifications of them are that people like myself are being forced to adopt christian beliefs unwillingly.

I currently do not have health insurance, and am needing to meet the requirements of the new law. My minimum coverage cost is $185 a month through the healthcare marketplace in my area . Obamacare provides exemptions for those who choose a health share ministry such as medi share http://mychristiancare.org/. In order to qualify to join one of the three health share ministries approved under obamacare, they conduct an interview to determine that the candidate meets certain religious qualifications and verify that you actively participate in a christian following. Their minimum coverage cost, after being approved into the health share ministry, would cost me around $70 a month initially, and lowered to $50 a month following a health test. I would pass their health test I am healthy and late 20s male.

Currently, I am not religious and would be denied membership into the health share ministry, but the financial consequences of the difference between $185 a month to $50 a month is such that I am forced to join a christian following and begin to unwillingly practice a religion in order to qualify for the medishare program. The difference in cost, $135 a month is enough to feed myself, and food is more important to my health than the extra given towards the $185 insurance policy.

I am actively attempting to join a christian ministry in order to qualify for the health sharing ministry program through a non profit such as medi share, despite it being against my current voluntary religious beliefs. Such membership into a program as medi share requires active participation. I am faced with the choice of join a religious group and qualify for medishare, or lose an extra $135 a month for myself to eat. Why cant a person such as myself choose a program such as medi share without having to profess religious beliefs.

My lack of religion and inability to join medishare has imposed a financial hardship on myself and many others. I unwillingly must practice a religion should I choose to save the $135 and put that towards my personal health, and in my understanding such is unconstitutional based on the separation of church and state. I can produce a documentable financial hardship imposed by the government due to my current lack of qualifying religious beliefs and inability to qualify for the obamacare exemption provided for health sharing ministries such as medi share. I am being financially forced into adopting christian religious beliefs and joining a church unwillingly in order to meet government mandates. Such comes at both a sacrifice of personal time as well as emotional and psychological distress.

How would I argue the unconstitutional nature of this ?

Default Re: Obamacare Health Share Ministries Exemption Unconstitutional

It is not unconstitutional. The regulations were provided to prevent Obamacare from being considered unconstitutional.

Everyone is supposed to comply with the law. If someone with a sincerely held religious belief does not want to comply with the law because of that belief, the Constitution protects such matters. To prevent such a person from opting out would require the government to look at it under a criteria of "strict scrutiny" to see if it were Constitutional. Because the administration/Congress does not feel the importance or necessity of whatever particular issue is you are talking about would meet that strict scrutiny requirement, there are certain carve outs for certain religious beliefs.

The "hardship" you speak of is a part of the plan. If the young "invincibles" do not sign up in sufficient numbers, the ACA and the underlying underwriting of the insurance companies fail as well.

I am forced No, you are not forced. That is a choice you are making. No one is holding a gun to your head. You have other options.

Since you have choices and are not being forced to do anything, I fail to see how it is unconstitutional.

A healthshare ministry is simply a faith based group obtaining insurance for its members, like an employer or union. Start your own company, staffed by volunteers and obtain your own group policy. Alternatively form a company and go together with several other companies to provide group coverage.

Quote Quoting Welfarelvr
    View Post
    The "hardship" you speak of is a part of the plan. If the young "invincibles" do not sign up in sufficient numbers, the ACA and the underlying underwriting of the insurance companies fail as well.
    Insurance companies need healthy people of all ages to sign up, and actually make more money when healthy people who are out of their "young invincible" stage sign up as they pay higher premiums. The economics work fine even if young people choose the penalty, as long as healthy people who are no longer feeling all that young or invincible choose to protect themselves by obtaining insurance.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Insurance companies need healthy people of all ages to sign up, and actually make more money when healthy people who are out of their "young invincible" stage sign up as they pay higher premiums. The economics work fine even if young people choose the penalty, as long as healthy people who are no longer feeling all that young or invincible choose to protect themselves by obtaining insurance.
    For conflicting opinions on the matter see:
    http://kff.org/health-reform/perspec...able-care-act/
    http://acadeathspiral.org/tag/young-invincibles/

people like myself are being forced to adopt christian beliefs unwillingly.
    Dragged out of your bed in the middle of the night, beaten, and threatened with death if you don't convert, huh?

Interesting. I've been Heathen for years, and the Goon Squad has never bothered me at all.

1. Sponsored Links