Default Former Employer Deducted UI from My Paychecks but Did Not Pay State

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: New Jersey

Hello! Wanted to get some advice/thoughts... I was recently laid off from my employer. It is a 501c3 organization (church) and they are not required to withhold and pay UI for employees. However, I elected to have them deduct and pay them. I have my W2 that shows the amount withheld from my pay into UI, but when I went to file for unemployment, they said that it seems that the state never got paid that money. I have faxed over the W2 to the state, and am waiting to hear back. One woman told me they will be going after them for the taxes taken out and not paid, but I don't know if that will allow me to collect once it is taken care of. So my question is, once they pay what they took out of my checks, and pay whatever they might be fined, will I be able to collect? Also, in the meantime, is there anything I can do or any kind of agency that may be able to help me? Thank you!!

Default Re: Former Employer Deducted UI from My Paychecks but Did Not Pay State

When you asked the unemployment office, what did they say?

Default Re: Former Employer Deducted UI from My Paychecks but Did Not Pay State

You may need to take the law to them, if you do not want this to go to appeal. See the non-profit paragraph here:

http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/han...onReports.html

1. Sponsored Links