Default Use of Foreign/International Law by the U.S. Supreme Court

Dear all,

First of all, I would like to present myself; I am a Belgian law student. I don't need real legal advice for a concrete problem. I would like to ask you a question though. I cannot find the right topic to discuss it, this is why I'm asking in here . My question is the following ; do you know a good doctrine article about the use of foreign/international law by the US Supreme Court, for the judicial review of a federal law to the US Constitution ?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Kinds regards,

Default Re: Use of Foreign/International Law by the U.S. Supreme Court

We don't do homework. Your professors wanted you to do a better job of research than just asking for someone to GIVE you the answer. Even google (hardly the end-all of legal research) would have been better than what you have done.

Here's a Euro, go call your mother and tell her there are serious doubts about you becoming a lawyer.

Here are some databases of law review articles, some of which are restricted - but your law school likely subscribes to some of those services for the benefit of students. LegalTrac is a good choice if your law school uses it.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    We don't do homework. Your professors wanted you to do a better job of research than just asking for someone to GIVE you the answer. Even google (hardly the end-all of legal research) would have been better than what you have done.

Here's a Euro, go call your mother and tell her there are serious doubts about you becoming a lawyer.

Dear Flyingron,

You may have misunderstood what i asked for. I did not ask you to do my job at all ; I already did a lot of research about the subject. What I ask for is if someone knows about a good doctrine article that maybe I missed because I do not know all the database to search after the american law. Plus, if you're omniscient, I can understand you don't need the help of anybody, but like everyone else but you, I sometimes need the help of colleague. And this is of course the same thing on the professional market ; when you don't know, search ; if you cannot find : ask. Asking somebody is part of the research. Finally, I can understand your reaction, but not the words that you used to express it : if you have doubts about me, I'm glad, but my mother has nothing to do with it.

Kinds regards

- - - Updated - - -
    Dear Knowitall,

Thank you very much , this is what I asked for.

It's a line from the first chapter of the book "The Paper Chase" by John Jay Osborn, Jr. Set in the first year of Harvard Law School. which was later made into a movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wOUMd3bMRI

If something is in a book or turn into a movie, you can say that to the people ? Is that your argument ?

What did you find in your database search?

Quote Quoting Dju
    View Post
    If something is in a book or turn into a movie, you can say that to the people ? Is that your argument ?
    I was just explaining the origin since you seem to be oblivious of it's origins. It's not an argument, just illustration.

I found this book ; "The use of foreign precedents by constitutional judges / edited by Tania Groppi and Marie-Claire Ponthoreau" ; very good, this article "THE FOREIGN SOURCE DOCTRINE: EXPLAINING THE ROLE OF FOREIGN AND INTERNATIONAL LAW IN INTERPRETING THE CONSTITUTION by Timothy K. Kuhner" and also this one "Foreign Law as Legislative Fact in Constitutional Cases by A. Christopher Bryant". These are the most relevant to me right now.

Good stuff. You seem to be pretty much set.

1. Sponsored Links