Question Getting a Protective Order Against Somebody Who Lives in a Different State

My question involves restraining orders in the State of: Arkansas and Texas. I live in Sherwood, Arkansas and my former friend is in Texas. My former friend and I were friends for ten years, but we started having trouble about a year ago. In the spring of 2013 she informed me that I had offended her and "several people" by some remarks on Facebook. I was never told what those remarks were or who I had offended when I asked her. She then proceeded to tell me how horrible I was. I ended up having to ask her to stop and we had no contact for a time, although I did not delete her e-mail address when this happened (I did block her on Facebook) as I wanted her to have one way of communication if she should decide to work things out.

After a few months passed I offered to work things out with her through a couple of mutual friends. There was no contact until recently...however I did send out a couple of mass e-mails and there was a computer virus so it's possible that she might have gotten some things in error. When she contacted me directly she threatened to get an attorney to file a protection order for her and her family and threatened to send a letter to my church. She also said that if she lived in the same town she "would deal with [me]."

She wasn't always like that. When I first met her she was one of the sweetest, kindest people out there and I don't know what happened. I do not deny that I made mistakes, but my intent was never to hurt my friend.

So at this point I am wondering if there is anything that I can do, legally, to protect myself.

Default Re: Former Friend in One State, I'm in Another-Protection Orders

seeing that you are about 150 miles apart, just what do you think you really need to do? I would suggest simply not contacting her and move on with life.

Default Re: Getting a Protective Order Against Somebody Who Lives in a Different State

Agree with JK.

When somebody tells you they don't want to have anything to do with you, you obey.

You don't try to do an end run around it.

Back off and forget about her.

Nothing good will come of your efforts.

Default Re: Getting a Protective Order Against Somebody Who Lives in a Different State

Stop living vicariously through Facebook.

So...you kept her email address, with the intent of using it to communicate with her.

Re-read your post. Then delete her address.

1. Sponsored Links