Hybrid View

Default Falsely Accused of Stealing Money at Work

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Virginia

I was recently falsely accused of stealing money at work. I am a front desk clerk at a hotel. After working one night, the general manager
    texted me the next day and told me that I didn't have to come to work that night and that the owner wants to have a meeting with me the next day. Well the next day was supposed to be my day off and I was not available to meet with them. I called her and she said that I checked someone in but forgot to post the money into the folio. This would mean that the drawer would have been over at the end of the night but it wasn't . She then said that they had viewed the camera and that she didn't notice anything suspicious but that the owner wanted to talk with me.

Since I had been told not to come to work that night, I figured I was just going to be fired for making a minor mistake. What I didn't know was that I was being accused of taking money from them. Days later, I went to pick up my check and noticed a miscellaneous deduction for the amount of the transaction the night before plus an extra $10. I immediately called the owner of the establishment and questioned him about the deduction. He said that it was for the money that I had taken from them!

I have been working for him for 3 years and have never even been written up! I explained to him that I wouldn't take money from him and that there's no way that I could because there are cameras everywhere. There was also another person working with me who was there 2 1/2 hours before I even got there (I did not count the drawer when I came in). However, I am the only one who was accused of taking money.

After going back and forth with him for about 10 minutes, he agreed to pay me the money back that he had deducted out of my check which is a clear indication that he knows that I didn't take any money, nor does he have proof that I took it. The cameras tell it all!!!

I would like to know if any legal action can be taken against my employer? What kind of legal action could I take, if any? And how do I go about it? I got the money back that he took out of my check but I am still out of a job and all of my co-workers think that I am a thief.

Default Re: Falsely Accused of Stealing Money at Work

You are an at will employee. You can be fired for no reason. Apply for UI.

Quote Quoting Ambitious23
    View Post
    My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Virginia

I was recently falsely accused of stealing money at work. I am a front desk clerk at a hotel. After working one night, the general manager
    texted me the next day and told me that I didn't have to come to work that night and that the owner wants to have a meeting with me the next day. Well the next day was supposed to be my day off and I was not available to meet with them. I called her and she said that I checked someone in but forgot to post the money into the folio. This would mean that the drawer would have been over at the end of the night but it wasn't . She then said that they had viewed the camera and that she didn't notice anything suspicious but that the owner wanted to talk with me.

Since I had been told not to come to work that night, I figured I was just going to be fired for making a minor mistake. What I didn't know was that I was being accused of taking money from them. Days later, I went to pick up my check and noticed a miscellaneous deduction for the amount of the transaction the night before plus an extra $10. I immediately called the owner of the establishment and questioned him about the deduction. He said that it was for the money that I had taken from them!

I have been working for him for 3 years and have never even been written up! I explained to him that I wouldn't take money from him and that there's no way that I could because there are cameras everywhere. There was also another person working with me who was there 2 1/2 hours before I even got there (I did not count the drawer when I came in). However, I am the only one who was accused of taking money.

After going back and forth with him for about 10 minutes, he agreed to pay me the money back that he had deducted out of my check which is a clear indication that he knows that I didn't take any money, nor does he have proof that I took it. The cameras tell it all!!!

I would like to know if any legal action can be taken against my employer? What kind of legal action could I take, if any? And how do I go about it? I got the money back that he took out of my check but I am still out of a job and all of my co-workers think that I am a thief.

They don't need to prove anything. They thought it was you, so they fired you. Nothing illegal there.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

If they had refused to repay you for the money they deducted, you could have filed a wage claim. But they did.

Your legal recourse is to file for unemployment benefits. It is LEGAL to fire you on suspicion of theft, even if the employer is mistaken.

1. Sponsored Links