Default Can I Park My Car with Expired Tabs on the Street After Failing Smog Test

My question involves civil rights in the State of: California

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I wasn't sure which would be best.

My mother bought a used car, went to the DMV to get new tabs but was told that it needed a smog check. She payed all of the registration fee's and would be able to pick up the tabs with a successful smog test. The car failed smog and needed to have work done that she could not immediately afford, we have only street parking and were given a ticket for parking on the street with expired tabs. We disputed by mail, but were denied. I can understand if you are neglecting to renew the tabs you should be fined. But if you have payed all of the fee's to the state for registration, have a failed smog test and only street parking. What is the other option?

Thank you

Default Re: Can I Park My Car with Expired Tabs on the Street After Failing Smog Test

You don't have a right to operate the car on the roadway without evidence of current registration. In fact, if it is 6 months expired it can be impounded until the registration is paid.

If you pay the fees the DMV can provide you with a temporary registration for up to 60 days (maybe 90) and that can be placed in the window of your vehicle as evidence of registration. But, you will have to clear that smog check before any permanent registration can be issued, and they will not issue a second temp. registration.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links