Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can a City-Employed Supervisor Send You Religious Emails

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Arkansas

First time on this forum so here goes... Is there a standard of which a city employer/indirect and direct supervisors could be accused of pushing a religious believe to employes thru emails? Harassment?

Default Re: Religous Emails by City Empolyed Supervisors

This is incredibly situation-specific. Details, please?

In a few instances there have been inspirational quotes, well wishes with religious overtones ( May god bless you) and pretty much straight religious quotes. Here is an exact quote that was at the end of a department wide email.

"I'd like to leave you with a quote from our Conway fire fighter brother Billie Carter. Billie is as fine a human being as I have ever known. He donated a kidney to another Conway brother fire fighter and nearly died as a result. He is obviously of the highest character. Here's what he said in a recent facebook post.
    Are you a hopeful, optimistic, encouraging person? And do you associate with like-minded people?

Hope, like other human emotions, is contagious. When we associate with hope-filled friends, we are encouraged by their faith and optimism. But if we spend to much time in the company of naysayers and pessimists, our attitudes, like theirs, will tend toward the cynical and negative.

As a child of God, you have every reason to be hopeful, and you have every reason to share your hope with others. So today, look for reasons to celebrate. And while you're at it, look for people who will join you in the celebration of God's blessings. As you share hope, you'll build hope.

I think all of us will see a little bit of ourselves in paragraphs one and two. If you are a religious person you'll particularly enjoy the third paragraph.

That's it guys, pure and simple.

This was from a supervisor

- - - Updated - - -

Yet another from a Supervisor...

"I thank you all for your dedication to serving others and I pray that God blesses each of you and your families this most holy season."

Y'know, I'm going to defer to cbg about the legalities.

But I'm admittedly curious about why that email is so offensive.

Don't want to hear it or read it period. If I did I would attend church. I grew up catholic but not a practicing adult. If I replied with Muslim or Atheist views it would not be tolerated. Because it is the social norm around here does that make it acceptable in the work place?

Quote Quoting medicpelle
    View Post
    Don't want to hear it or read it period. If I did I would attend church. I grew up catholic but not a practicing adult. If I replied with Muslim or Atheist views it would not be tolerated. Because it is the social norm around here does that make it acceptable in the work place?

Pretty sure that's not what I said.

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    Pretty sure that's not what I said.
    Did you not ask me why it was offensive? The last question was really more rhetorical not directed toward you.

The Constitution of the United States promises you freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. If you are offended by these emails, don't read them.

In the meantime, when you addressed the question with your supervisor or upper management or HR, what did they say?

Quote Quoting medicpelle
    View Post
    Because it is the social norm around here does that make it acceptable in the work place?
    No, it doesn't.

But if it is the social norm, and that norm is supported by the people at the top, you risk getting fired (or, at least, alienating your superior) if you make objection to it.

If you are willing to take that risk, feel free to forward every email to the person at the top (or whoever grievances go to in your city) and express (in writing) your objections to the religious content of the emails.

Let's see what cbg has to say.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast