Default Seller Has Not Sent Me the Title to a Motorcycle I Purchased

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Purchased in Georgia, but I need it registered in Florida

Long story short:

Purchased a motorcycle from an individual in Georgia who still owed money on the bike to Harley. Seller and I went to Suntrust bank, signed all the paperwork, bill of sale, lien release request to Harley, etc. After the money was sent to Harley and the remainder given to the seller, the keys were turned over to me, and the bank told me that Harley would send the title to the them. I ship the motorcycle to Florida, and I eventually got on a plane to Australia (where I now live).

Harley sent title to seller, not bank. Seller has repeatedly, "apologized" for not sending it, and that he keeps forgetting (I have transcripts of these text messages, he refuses to answer calls) to send it. I'm at my wits end on what to do here. I have had my family have a police officer come over to do a VIN verification in Florida and he told us that it hasn't been reported stolen. The guy I purchased it from is a pretty successful guy, so I can't fathom why he won't send it. I've offered to have FedEx pick it up to no response.

My question:

Can I have a police officer in Florida sign a vin verification form, and go to the DMV with the bill of sale and lien payoff letter and get a title? Or do I need to involve a lawyer in Georgia (as angry as I am with this guy, I am halfway around the world), if so what kind of lawyer do I seek?

Thank you,

An expat abroad.

Default Re: Seller Has Not Sent Me the Title to a Motorcycle I Purchased

Quote Quoting ExpatAbroad
    View Post
    Harley sent title to seller, not bank.
    Harley could do anything but send the title to the original owner (seller). In fact, Harley did not send anything to anyone, they simply requested a new title be issued in the name of the owner of the vehicle... He in turn must then sign it over to you, you submit it over to your lien holder and they have a new title issued in your name with them as the lien holder of record.

View Post
    Can I have a police officer in Florida sign a vin verification form, and go to the DMV with the bill of sale and lien payoff letter and get a title?
    You will have to have a VIN verification form signed by (one option) a police officer, but that alone is not going to substitute for a certificate of title that is properly endorsed by the registered owner or a registration certificate in your name before Florida will begin to process a title transfer application.

View Post
    Or do I need to involve a lawyer in Georgia (as angry as I am with this guy, I am halfway around the world), if so what kind of lawyer do I seek?
    Any attorney who handles civil matters can send him a demand letter explaining what must be done in a timely manner or else.... Attorney must be licensed on both Florida and Georgia but you might find that most who are in that area are.

Before you take it to a lawyer and spend money on one, have you tried to contact your bank? With them being the lien holder, they have a vested interest in obtaining the proper documents to secure the money they have already (presumably) paid out to you. And you might be able to convince them to utilize whatever in-house-council they use to put some pressure where it belongs.

1. Sponsored Links