Default Can You Take the Children Into Your Custody if the Other Parent Attempts Suicide

I am in Canada
    My xboyfriend/fatherof my 2 little kids tried to commit suicide the other day.
    He is now in the hospital. He jumped off a high place broke both arms and had to have brain and reconstuctive sergery.
    He just today has been committed for 72 hours with a nurse watching him 24/7.
    He had to sign something that said he wouldn't try to do it again in the next 72 hours.
    I have defacto custody of the kids.
    We have not been to court and there are no orders.
    If I wanted to get full custody right now, how would that work?
    He would not be able to show up for court because he can't get out of bed.

What would be the easiest and fastest way to get full custody of my kids under these circumstances?
    Would going to the police and telling them what has happened, make the process happen immediatly?
    He is oviously in no condition to have any custody of the children so would it just be transferred to me automatically?
    He also I should add is a heroine addict.
    What is the process to get full custody and would he be informed during the process?

Thankyou. I hope someone can help.

Default Re: father of kids tried to commit suicide. can I get custody RIGHT NOW?

Quote Quoting elli
    View Post
    I am in Canada
    My xboyfriend/fatherof my 2 little kids tried to commit suicide the other day.
    He is now in the hospital. He jumped off a high place broke both arms and had to have brain and reconstuctive sergery.
    He just today has been committed for 72 hours with a nurse watching him 24/7.
    He had to sign something that said he wouldn't try to do it again in the next 72 hours.
    If I wanted to get full custody right now, how would that work?
    He would not be able to show up for court because he can't get out of bed.

What would be the easiest and fastest way to get full custody of my kids under these circumstances?
    Would going to the police and telling them what has happened, make the process happen immediatly?
    He is oviously in no condition to have any custody of the children so would it just be transferred to me automatically?
    He also I should add is a heroine addict.
    What is the process to get full custody and would he be informed during the process?

Thankyou. I hope someone can help.
    The first step in the "process" would be to avoid the amateurs you will encounter on online forums offering free legal advice. Don't pay don't get.

Default Re: father of kids tried to commit suicide. can I get custody RIGHT NOW?

On Monday You would contact a family law solicitor in Canada and have them assist you in petitioning the court for the order you seek, he will have to be served according to Canadian law. No one can say for sure how it will turn out.

By any chance did your denying him visitation play a role in his suicide atempt, if so, that may affect your chances at getting sole custody.

panther10758 Guest

If he was that unstable why was he even with children unsupervised? I agree with Cissy dont waste time here find a REAL Lawyer ASAP!

How'd you manage that?

Quote Quoting cissycicle
    View Post

How'd you manage that?
    Well it was very hard. But it eventually came down to me saying hes not aloud at my house. We were going to meet outside my house for visits at child orientated places for him to visit them with me around.
    Basically he wants me and so he didn't mind me always being around.
    So he had never asked for time alone. He had time alone at first but it came down to meeting outside the house.
    He couldn't take that. He felt he had lost his family he says and so he jumped.
    He says I am the only reason for living.
    He is telling the truth. That scares me.
    So it never got to become easy.
    He stopped coming around or calling for about a week and a half and I felt he was leaving because he always contacted me at least by phone in that legnth of time.
    His mom phoned me and told me what had happened.
    So, I don't know what to do from here.
    Maybe nothing and just keep the visits outside my home supervised by me when eventually he does see the kids again.
    Will what he did still stand as a big deterent in court at that time if I do nothing now?
    He knows that the kids can't see him like how he looks right now and he will probably be in a care home because he cant use either arm very well and I suspect won't be able to use them for personal care for at least 6 months.
    How long do they keep patients for who do stuff like this?

So I just don't want to make the world come down on him at this time by supeanaing him to court while in the hospital. He can't even talk on the telephone for more than a couple minutes becuse it hurts too much.

Should I just go to the police station and ask their opinion cause then at least it will be on file that he did this so he won't be able to pretend it was an accident later.
    Oh I don't want to be mean to him right now. I just want to make sure that my kids are safe from the insanity and it seems like right now I have a chance to do that.
    Again though he is not written down as the father of either child but that is easily rectified so I should just protect them right now incase he tries for something in the future.
    I love him.
    I love my kids.

Quote Quoting elli
    View Post
    Well it was very hard. But it eventually came down to me saying hes not aloud at my house. We were going to meet outside my house for visits at child orientated places for him to visit them with me around.
    Basically he wants me and so he didn't mind me always being around.
    So he had never asked for time alone. He had time alone at first but it came down to meeting outside the house.
    He couldn't take that. He felt he had lost his family he says and so he jumped.
    He says I am the only reason for living.
    He is telling the truth. That scares me.
    So it never got to become easy.
    He stopped coming around or calling for about a week and a half and I felt he was leaving because he always contacted me at least by phone in that legnth of time.
    His mom phoned me and told me what had happened.
    So, I don't know what to do from here.
    Maybe nothing and just keep the visits outside my home supervised by me when eventually he does see the kids again.
    Will what he did still stand as a big deterent in court at that time if I do nothing now?
    He knows that the kids can't see him like how he looks right now and he will probably be in a care home because he cant use either arm very well and I suspect won't be able to use them for personal care for at least 6 months.
    How long do they keep patients for who do stuff like this?

So I just don't want to make the world come down on him at this time by supeanaing him to court while in the hospital. He can't even talk on the telephone for more than a couple minutes becuse it hurts too much.

Should I just go to the police station and ask their opinion cause then at least it will be on file that he did this so he won't be able to pretend it was an accident later.
    Oh I don't want to be mean to him right now. I just want to make sure that my kids are safe from the insanity and it seems like right now I have a chance to do that.
    Again though he is not written down as the father of either child but that is easily rectified so I should just protect them right now incase he tries for something in the future.
    I love him.
    I love my kids.

If "he" launched himself off of a bridge and eventually was found to have some serious mental/physical injuries, wouldn't the police already have a report? Who transported "him" to the medical facility?

Default Re: Father of kids tried to commit suicide. Can I get custody right now?

I don't know exacly but I know the ambulance came and got him. He was telling them to let him die. Not to help him. But I don't know if thats on record.

1. Sponsored Links