Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default If You're Banned from a Store Are You Banned From the Entire Chain

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan.

I was caught shoplifting at Kohl's in Massachusetts two years ago. I paid my fine, talked to a judge, and it's not on my record.

I was banned for life from Kohl's but they didn't take a picture of me or anything. And since then I haven't gone into that store, nor have I stolen. I learned my lesson.

Would I be able to go into Kohls in Michigan? My stepmom wants to go shopping tomorrow and I'm a tad worried. I mean it's been a long time, plus I'm fairly certain they have no way of knowing I'm even I'm there.

Anyone experienced this?

Default Re: Can I Go into a Store I Was Banned from in Another State

Honestly, I don't think you have anything to worry about. It's been 2 years and you are going in a different state. It's unlikely anyone will recognize you. If they did, they'd probably just watch you to see if you'll do it again.

But definitely stay out of any Kohls near where you were caught.

I wouldn't. Perhaps they won't eyeball you, but you if you raise their attention for any reason and they look you up, you can be arrested and CONVICTED for criminal trespass.

I agree with Ron.

While it probably would not be a problem, the fact is; if you have been banned, entering a Kohls would be trespassing and you can be prosecuted. It would not be worth it to me to risk it.

If you really want to go, you really could not hurt your position if you requested permission prior to entering. The worst they could say is no.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    I agree with Ron.

While it probably would not be a problem, the fact is; if you have been banned, entering a Kohls would be trespassing and you can be prosecuted. It would not be worth it to me to risk it.

If you really want to go, you really could not hurt your position if you requested permission prior to entering. The worst they could say is no.
    Here is a real life example...

An idiot 16 year old was with friends in a wallyworld who shoplifted. She wasn't arrested but was told she was banned from wallyworld for life. 10 years later she is a regular shopper at that same wallyworld and it has never been an issue. However, if she was stupid enough to attempt to shoplift and got caught, it might very well end up being a MAJOR issue.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Here is a real life example...

An idiot 16 year old was with friends in a wallyworld who shoplifted. She wasn't arrested but was told she was banned from wallyworld for life. 10 years later she is a regular shopper at that same wallyworld and it has never been an issue. However, if she was stupid enough to attempt to shoplift and got caught, it might very well end up being a MAJOR issue.
    here is a made up example but could be real world based on the facts:

an idiot 16 yo kid was with friends in wallyworld who shoplifted. She wasn't arrested but was told she was banned from wallyworld for life. 10 years later she is a regular shopper at that same wallyworld and it has never been an issue until...

one of the employees aware of the event 10 years ago recognized her and being a diligent wallyworld drone reported it to management. Management subsequently contacted the police and idiot 26 yo was arrested for trespass.

If somebody wants to risk being arrested, then by all means, ignore the ban. Given the time involved and distance from the original store, it is unlikely anything will happen but that doesn't mean it can't happen or won't happen. I buy lottery tickets once in awhile. The chances of me winning are extremely small but that doesn't mean it can't happen or it won't happen and for some people, it does happen. Maybe the OP is that "some people".

Different states have different trespass laws. I find it hard to believe that a Michigan judge will enforce a Massachusetts trespass warning unless it is court ordered.

Shop elsewhere. Why risk it?

Quote Quoting bam!
    View Post
    Different states have different trespass laws. I find it hard to believe that a Michigan judge will enforce a Massachusetts trespass warning unless it is court ordered.

Shop elsewhere. Why risk it?

You make no sense. No matter where I live, if I tell a person to never enter my property, they have been warned. In MI, once a person is given notice to not enter my property and they enter my property, they are trespassing. It matters not if I gave them notice while I or they were in MI or not. All that matters is they have been warned to not enter my property.

Default Re: If You're Banned from a Store Are You Banned From the Entire Chain

Quote Quoting caterpuff
    View Post
    I was caught shoplifting at Kohl's in Massachusetts two years ago. I paid my fine, talked to a judge, and it's not on my record.
    That's good that you took care of your responsibilities to the court. Not having it on your record has nothing to do with a private store owner telling you that you are not welcome there.

I was banned for life from Kohl's but they didn't take a picture of me or anything.
    Who banned you? Was it a formal document that you had signed? What did the document specifically say? They likely already have your picture from the 100+ security cameras operating within the store at any given time. Or maybe not. Who knows, not really relevant.

Would I be able to go into Kohls in Michigan? My stepmom wants to go shopping tomorrow and I'm a tad worried. I mean it's been a long time, plus I'm fairly certain they have no way of knowing I'm even I'm there.
    It doesn't matter how long it has been. If you were truly banned from any Kohl's FOREVER, going into a Kohl's 50 years from now would still be in violation of your agreement. If you are set on going to Kohl's, get in and get out without drawing attention. Or go to another smiliar store for whatever it is you need.

Default Re: If You're Banned from a Store Are You Banned From the Entire Chain

I wrote the Corporate Office, attn Loss Prevention, apologized, asked permission to shop again. I received a letter removing the ban.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast