Default Personal Belongings Discarded from Storage

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: NY

I have lived in my apartment for 4+ years, I do not have a lease but had a month-to-month agreement. The ownership of my apartment has been transfered to now a different person. I have not personally been in contact with the new landlord, but have through their attorney and realitor. They are trying to sell the property.

I was instructed to contact the realitor and discuss the basement because they were having people come in to clean it to try to sell it. I was given a few days to a week to comply. I did as such, and was told to label and block off my belongings that I do not want thrown out per the realitor. I did what I was told to do within the time frame they gave me. I had afterwards, maybe a few days or so, went down into the basement to find all my belonging gone! With the exception of my washer and dryer. I contacted the realitor and laywer and I was quite upset, I had some irreplaceable items down there, they told me that I was told to remove my stuff. I have the emails stating otherwise.

My question is.. is this legal to remove a current tenants property like that?? I did as I was told per the "higher powers" and now I am left with nothing. I am aware this was told from an attorney but still.. this does not seem legal to me. But what do I know..

Default Re: Removing of Personal Property

No, it's not legal for them to remove your stuff. Sadly, irreplaceable does not always (or often) translate to valuable. (such as family photos and such) Since you have the emails from them stating to put your stuff in a certain place, and you did so, they are at fault. (at least according to the facts given here.) Depending on the value of the items, small claims court will most likely be your best bet.

Default Re: Removing of Personal Property

Thank you! There really wasn't a $$ value on the items, just a sentimental value. I know I will not be able to retreive my stuff, but in principal it's just wrong! And the attorney stated per his email "Again, there was nothing that could have been done and nothing that can be done now. We consider this matter finalized and we plan to close our file accordingly"

1. Sponsored Links