Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can I Get a Restraining Order Removed if the Protected Person is Trying to Contact Me

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Washington

The court issued a no contact order so I am not allowed to contact this girl who I've been dating for a couple months.

First of all, there was never a crime committed against her. Her most recent ex has a problem with me and created a huge situation which caused me to receive this order from the court.

Secondly, the girl keeps on trying to contact me. I guess you could say she is stalking me, and sending me messages. She shows up frequently at my place of residence, and one time was even waiting inside because my roommate let her in! (He didn't know about the order). Luckily, she has never noticed I was there, because the moment I saw that she was waiting around my place, I just went somewhere else for a few hours and she left.

Thirdly, for the situation in hand, I know she is trying to contact me because her friends, and even family have tried to contact me explaining things she wants to say to me, and that is order shouldn't be in place.

So far, I have done a good job avoiding, but I don't like not even being able to go home. Isn't there anything I can do about this?

Default Re: Can I Get This No Contact Order Removed (Difficult Circumstances)

1. She had enough to have convinced the commissioner (unless you didn't turn up in court)

There IS actually something you can do. Take your evidence (messages, perhaps a witness or two) and file to modify/have the ordered rescinded.

Here you go

http://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/?fa=f...bute&formID=86
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Default Re: Can I Get a Restraining Order Removed if the Protected Person is Trying to Contac

Or, just take out a restraining order against her.

The girl is obviously loony and you'd be wise to steer clear of her anyway.

Default Re: Can I Get a Restraining Order Removed if the Protected Person is Trying to Contac

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Or, just take out a restraining order against her.

The girl is obviously loony and you'd be wise to steer clear of her anyway.
    This.

I was told that if someone had an order of protection / restraining order against you and then somehow establish contact / communication with you, it is still YOUR fault because you are the restrained party and are in violation of the order of protection. You can even be arrested if the protected party goes to the cops.

Who knows why she wants to contact you ? Maybe it is to get you into further trouble with the law ? Either way, I would attempt to get the order thrown out AND get an order of protection against her.

You can't get a personal protection order against somebody who has not threatened you simply by claiming that she's loony. That's not a valid basis for a petition.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    You can't get a personal protection order against somebody who has not threatened you simply by claiming that she's loony. That's not a valid basis for a petition.
    If she is following him around and placing herself in his path on purpose, and getting her family and mutual friends to contact him for her, wouldn't he be entitled to a stalking / harassment order ? Plus her attempts to get in touch with him prove that she isn't really afraid of him and should be enough to get her restraining order against him dismissed ??

I've seen ROs issued locally (I'm in the same state as the OP) for far less than that.

Do not microwave grapes

I see nothing but speculation. Hearsay about supposed attempts to contact. Her being present at his place a couple of times when he wasn't there, and gone before he made his presence known. No allegation that any of her actions cause the OP to feel threatened or frightened - allegations that are required as part of an anti-stalking petition in Washington. And this from a guy who is restrained from contacting her, which will rightfully or not make it appear to be tit-for-tat.

Tit-for-tat filings never end well.

I'm not suggesting he does file one - there's another option that won't get him into trouble. Despite the apparent willingness to hand 'em out willy nilly, they also make not-too-difficult to have the original order rescinded or modified, specially in this sort of scenario.

Then again "I dream a dream" of a place where disgruntled exes just don't do that kind of crap to begin with.

Do not microwave grapes

If he can prove that his ex- is showing up at his place without regard for whether he's present, attempting to contact him through various people, and the like, he probably has a decent shot at getting the order modified as those actions are not reflective of fear. But at this point we don't know the background to the case, and the prior history may darken his prospects.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast