Default Leaving Before 30 Day Notice Period

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: IL

I created a new thread since it's a different matter. My company guidebook says that:

Should you decide to leave your employment with us, you are required to mandatorily provide a notice
    period of one month. Any exceptions to this would require the explicit approval of your manager.
    The company reserves the right to refuse reimbursement of notice period from the employee & can insist
    that the employee work the full notice period which the employee is obligated to do.
    (The offer letter I signed also states that I must give 30 days of notice.)

Can the company actually impose any penalties on me, or have a valid case against me, if I left before the full month of notice?

Default Re: Leaving Before 30 Day Notice Period

what reimbursement are they speaking of in that clause?

and they cannot make you work any day you don't want to work. They may have a claim against you if your failure to provide notice caused them damages.

They leave it vague; I've included the text from the offer letter below. It seems to imply that they expect the employee to pay the company if they leave before 30 days, but I'm not a 100% sure on my interpretation.

Termination at will: This Contract may be terminated by either the Company or you
    without cause by serving a written notice of such termination 30 days prior to the date of
    termination or payment in lieu thereof. In the event of termination by the employee
    without notice or payment in lieu thereof, the Company shall be entitled to recover all
    costs and expenses incurred in enforcing this Contract including attorney’s fees and other
    reasonable expenditure

. In the event of termination by the employee
    without notice or payment in lieu thereof, the Company shall be entitled to recover all
    costs and expenses incurred in enforcing this Contract including attorney’s fees and other
    reasonable expenditure
    and that is as clear as mud to me. I have no idea what "payment in lieu of" is referring to.

the best I can say is take it to a lawyer who can read the entire letter and determine if it is enforceable and then, if it is, what you may be liable for. It isn't making a lick of sense to me.

1. Sponsored Links