Default Charged Full Admission to College for a Registrar's Mistake

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Nebraska

Here is the situation, I applied for financial aid back in Sept a verification needed to done so I filled out the necessary documentation and faxed it in, the tax return was faxed over 4 different times, my Mom and Dad both attend ----- and had to do a verification on there account as well, I would call and check on my acct and would not receive a call back from my counselor ,it would take up to 1 to 2 weeks at a time to hear back from him. He would say he could not do anything until he received the documentation. I would ask well you should have received it and he would say no send it again, and so it went up in till November, when my Mom got involved and wondered why this was not done. when the new term was starting in Dec. so she and I called, he then said he could get me into classes and will move my moms transcripts over from her verification and I would be able to get going on classes in Dec. I asked If they had computer classes like word, power point and he said you could take CAD? then he asked what was the name of the class? really shouldn't you guys know this info as counselors. he showed me what the requirements were and we chose some classes. he never mentioned start dates, I and my Mom figured it was for Dec. the next day I called to get prepared for the new session in Dec and called him to ask about orientation. he said I would need to contact my teacher, so I did and that is when I found out I was enrolled in a class that started a week ago and I had 2 days to finish all the weeks assignments. that is when I called to cancel. I did not attend one class. I should have been enrolled in the Dec classes and not the November ones. November 26 to exact. can they do this I never signed anything either.

Default Re: Charged Full Admission to College for a Registars Mistake

You need to leave out the stream-of-consciousness babble, and focus on the relevant facts.

You are a grown-up, so you know how to enroll in classes, you know how to verify your class schedule, and you know your college's policies for withdrawing from classes while qualifying for a full or partial tuition reimbursement.

You picked some classes with your counselor, and assumed for reasons I cannot fathom that they would be for something other than the term that was about to start. You enrolled in the classes through your counselor. If you cannot convince the college to give you a break based upon your claim that you misunderstood when your classes started, and you have missed the deadline to drop your classes without a penalty, it's going to be tough to get out of paying your tuition bill.

Classes were picked Nov 25, why would I assume that I would be in the same term that started Nov 1 ? I was picking classes that was suppose to start on Dec 1 it was done online and the registar is the one that loaded them with the wrong date. this is not your typical University were you get a log on can look at your classes when they start and end, and you yourself pick them. I signed up for classes on Nov 27 for Dec classes, when I found his mistake was the following day Nov 26 that is when I canceled not even 24 hrs later.

When you provide relevant facts and leave out the babble, you have a better chance of noticing that you failed to provide highly relevant information, such as the fact that you didn't discuss the registration with the counselor until Nov. 25. But if that's the case, absent his harnessing the power of time travel, how did he manage to register you in classes that began on Nov. 1, and why has it been even slightly difficult for you to correct the problem?

1. Sponsored Links