Unhappy Constant Noise Complaints from Neighbors About Exercise

My question involves a condominium located in the State of: New York

We own a unit in a large condo. My wife is a fitness coach and uses a home workout DVD during the day to work out because we have a 16 month old son, so she's not able to go to the condo's gym. Our downstairs neighbor ( a renter) complained about her exercising twice and the board requested that we install rugs so that it meets the building's requirement of 70% coverage. We spent thousands of dollars to install thick, custom made carpets, so that she'd continue to be able to exercise. The neighbor is still complaining 6 months later and has gathered other neighbor friends to back her claim. At a recent board meeting, the owner of the unit where the people are complaining, threatened to call the police and even move back in and play her music loud all night to disturb my family and my child. It's at the point where I don't know what to do. I'm pretty sure that the board can't fine us, ask us to stop exercising or make us add more rugs. I also hope that the police wouldn't respond to such a ridiculous call. I'm mostly worried about her threat to disturb us. It's caused a lot of stress and it sounds almost criminal or litigious. Is there a way I can silence them from complaining and get them to back off and let us live our every day lives? I'd go through the board, but I'm not sure who's side they're on and whether anything will be done. Should I reach out to a lawyer?

Default Re: Constant Noise Complaints from Neighbors About Exercise

I can't see the community rules or bylaws from where I'm sitting, so I cannot comment on the possibility of a fine.

How about your wife meeting with the neighbor, and finding times when they won't be at home so that she can schedule her routines at times that won't bother them.

Thanks. The community rules simply state that 70% of the floor has to be covered. And as far as noise, I don't think that exercising is a nuisance since no equipment is involved. Unfortunately, the neighbor doesn't work and stays at home all day. My wife has asked her about the complaints before and she's said that someone came up to her and asked her if she was bothered by the noise coming from the upstairs. I don't believe her at all. I think this woman is afraid of confrontation and is letting the board to her dirty work.

Quote Quoting tepmumbs
    View Post
    Thanks. The community rules simply state that 70% of the floor has to be covered. And as far as noise, I don't think that exercising is a nuisance since no equipment is involved. Unfortunately, the neighbor doesn't work and stays at home all day. My wife has asked her about the complaints before and she's said that someone came up to her and asked her if she was bothered by the noise coming from the upstairs. I don't believe her at all. I think this woman is afraid of confrontation and is letting the board to her dirty work.
    Depending on the kind of exercising your wife does and the type of music she does it to can make it a very noisy proposition. Lots of thudding on the floor and possibly bass filtering through the floor can really make things miserable for a downstairs neighbor.

I suggest you go downstairs to the neighbor's unit during your wife's exercise periods and have the neighbor demonstrate what noises are coming through her ceiling.

Have you done that?

And if, by chance, you hear any of the sounds, the thumping, the vibrations, etc, then have your wife put a stop to the exercising.

Because, if there really is anything disturbing the downstairs neighbor, the HOA can, and will, fine you until it stops.

Just out of curiousity, if your wife is a fitness coach, does she work outside the home, coaching others about their fitness? Does she not work out WITH her clients? When she leaves the home to make her living as a fitness coach, what does she do with the child during that time?

The board can likely justify noise from a unit only if it is deemed normal living noise. For example, no one can tell you not to use your AC certain hours of the day or not to flush the toilet at certain hours.

If you can show that what your wife is doing is normal living noise just like the noise you hear from upstairs/downstairs, then you may win the argument. But if you hear nothing from upstairs and downstairs, I'm afraid the board will just tell you that your wife has to stop disturbing other units. If the floor shakes when she jumps like it does in our complex, I'm afraid virtually any board will find this to be disrupting the quiet enjoyment of others.

Please understand that one of the disadvantages of living in a condo vs. a house is that you have to live with other people in very close proximity and you do have to be considerate of others. Your daily life does not exist in isolation of the daily life of your neighbor.

Quote Quoting tepmumbs
    View Post
    Ever try living downstairs when someone is exercising? Movement causes noise and putting down rugs does little to attenuate the noise. The fact that your neighbor stays at home all day has no bearing on her desire to have some quality of life. As suggested - find a better time of the day when your wife can exercise.

1. Sponsored Links