Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Accused of Harassment After Giving a Co-Worker Cough Drops

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of:

i'm currently being told i might have a lawsuit because a co worker said i harrassed her at work.

what happened? she could not stop coughing and had a cold, so I went to her desk and gave her cough drops and left. didnt think anything of it until the next day when i was pulled in by my boss and was told that she complained that i harrassed her. according to her, it was the way i handed her cough drops that made her feel inferior, that it was demeaning, the way i looked at her was "sexually in nature" and she says she felt racially discriminated. WTF?

not sure how to handle this, my boss told me to stay away from her until this is resolved and they're going to talk to personnel to see if I will have to sign a statement. until what is resolved? there was no harrassment.

I also spoke to some instructors where we all went for training.

*** what do i do from here...how the hell is giving cough drops harrassment...and is this something i can be fired from like every accused person?

Default Re: Harrassment from Giving Cough Drops How Do I Handle a Bs Complaint

Assuming you live in the US and are not in Montana (please tell us if you are in Montana and, if you are, how long you've worked there), you can be fired for wearing odd socks, liking Justin Beiber, not liking Justin Beiber...see where I'm going here?

I cannot imagine a successful harassment suit against you given what you've said here.

i'm in los angeles, california. home of lawsuits. i've worked in my position for 5 yrs with the rating of attained excellence according to my monthly and bi-annual performance review. she has been with the agency for 4 yrs and has a satisfactory in her reviews, but she's a vet and since this is a federal position, she practically cant be fired.

Unless there are details missing, I cannot imagine this going far at all.

Even if she worked for a private company, she can't be fired for making a complaint of what she perceives as illegal harassment. She has a Federally protected right to do so.

Let me put it this way. You CAN be fired for this because there is no law that says you can't be. However, just because you can doesn't mean you will. It sounds as if at worst, you may be asked to sign something agreeing to "go and sin no more". It is unlikely that it will require that you acknowledge harassing her.

For the love of Pete, though, if your co-worker is that sensitive, next time ask her if she wants the cough drop first. Or better yet, let her buy her own.

details missing - i forgot when i gave the bag of halls, i said, "hey (her name) try these it'll help with the cough"

as for me i dont want to be accussed of harrassment and i dont want to do any bs counseling or whatever. i just want to know how do i protect myself from this nutjob.

Stay away from her.

Unless you forgot to mention the part where you had no pants on while delivering the cough drops, I cannot imagine her winning a lawsuit against you.

just stay away from her

Yes I gave her cough drops in buttless chaps w a leather mask on.

Nope nothing that's about it. Just gave cough Drops and left. Not sure how much in detail since all this took about a minute.

Not sure how it will play out.

I think it is quite unlikely that this will amount to anything. As I said, your employer may feel obligated to give you a token slap on the wrist so that if she persists, they can say that they took action, but it really doesn't sound as if your employer is taking it seriously. The law does not give them the option of ignoring her.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast