Default Is a License to Carry Firearm a "State Issued ID"

I have no idea where this should go, so please move if necessary.

My question is simple, in PA, does a License to Carry Firearm count as a "state issued" ID? I can't find a direct answer or case law anywhere to support one answer or another. In PA, LTCF's are issues by the Sheriff of the County in which you reside, so technically, they are not issued by the State, however, isn't the Sheriff's Department a State-run agency? I would argue that a LTCF is a state-issued ID, since it contains all of the info that is required of State IDs, and it is valid all throughout the Commonwealth, regardless of which County it was issued in.

My questions pertains to being required to present multiple forms of State-issued ID for whatever reason. Can a LTCF be legally rejected as a form of official ID?

Default Re: Is Ltcf "State Issued"

unless there is a law requiring the acceptance of the LTCF as a form of id for the specific situation you are involved in, it can be denied.

so, what is the situation being addressed? If there is no situation then there is no answer other than; maybe.

It has to be gilded, and kept polished for it to count. Doesn't sound like this will be a problem for you. However, you might have to take it out of its frame.

The specific situation I am referring to is cashing a check or withdrawing money from a bank in person.

So - back to JKs point, there is no law requiring that a LTCF be accepted (by the bank), but also no law (or rule) preventing it from being accepted (per corporate policy), so who makes the decision? Corporate told me that branches are governed by all applicable State and local laws where the physical bank in question actually resides. I then explained to who I was speaking with from corporate what I was trying to do. I was told that there would be no legal (or logical) reason for a bank employee to not accept a firearm permit with a photo on it. Corporate has told me that they will investigate the issue at the local branch in question.

[QUOTE=PADriver13;762969]The specific situation I am referring to is cashing a check or withdrawing money from a bank in person.

So - back to JKs point, there is no law requiring that a LTCF be accepted (by the bank), but also no law (or rule) preventing it from being accepted (per corporate policy), so who makes the decision?
    the people in power to make the decision; the bank

Corporate told me that branches are governed by all applicable State and local laws where the physical bank in question actually resides. I then explained to who I was speaking with from corporate what I was trying to do. I was told that there would be no legal (or logical) reason for a bank employee to not accept a firearm permit with a photo on it. Corporate has told me that they will investigate the issue at the local branch in question.
    they are governed by state laws but they are also bound to federal laws and regulations which, in banking, can be superior to state laws but this doesn't get that far. If there is no law requiring they accept any particular document, it is entirely up to the bank to determine if they will accept it or not.

Quote Quoting PADriver13
    View Post
    The specific situation I am referring to is cashing a check or withdrawing money from a bank in person.

So - back to JKs point, there is no law requiring that a LTCF be accepted (by the bank), but also no law (or rule) preventing it from being accepted (per corporate policy), so who makes the decision? Corporate told me that branches are governed by all applicable State and local laws where the physical bank in question actually resides. I then explained to who I was speaking with from corporate what I was trying to do. I was told that there would be no legal (or logical) reason for a bank employee to not accept a firearm permit with a photo on it. Corporate has told me that they will investigate the issue at the local branch in question.
    Then, if your firearm permit is not sufficient, you whip out your driver's license or state ID card and complete your business. It really is NOT that big of a deal!

What's this fixation you have over multiple threads with all things firearms related?!?! This seems an unhealthy (or, disturbing) fixation you have.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    What's this fixation you have over multiple threads with all things firearms related?!?! This seems an unhealthy (or, disturbing) fixation you have.
    Whoa! Back up the truck.

There is nothing unhealthy or disturbing about a desire to learn and understand firearms laws.

Although I'm not surprised that persons in authority in California might think so given the draconian nature of California's firearms restrictions.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=jk;762970]
    Quote Quoting PADriver13
    View Post
    If there is no law requiring they accept any particular document, it is entirely up to the bank to determine if they will accept it or not.
    That's exactly right.

Some banks will accept the permit and some won't.

I cashed a large check a while ago and was asked for a second form of ID after showing my driver license with my picture on it. I don't think there was a distinction made between state issued or otherwise. I had a couple of other forms of ID but decided on a whim to show my Arizona carry permit (no photo). It was accepted and I cashed my check. Turns out the teller was also a gun guy so we had a nice chat for a minute and I was on my way.

You never know.

RKBA, everybody.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Whoa! Back up the truck.

There is nothing unhealthy or disturbing about a desire to learn and understand firearms laws.

Although I'm not surprised that persons in authority in California might think so given the draconian nature of California's firearms restrictions.
    Take a gander at the plethora of firearms-related posts by the OP ... they are almost all hypothetical and, in this instance, seem to be designed to decide just how far one can push something if they wanted to. That concerns me.

THIS is not a 2nd Amendment, pro or anti-gun thing ... and you have NO IDEA of my position on firearms. But, when one's sole reason to post is to explore how far one can push all things firearms, it indicates what could be an unhealthy fascination with something.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Big difference between the PA LTCF and the AZ CCW Permit. In Arizona, the CCW permit is by the Arizona Department of Public Safety. A sheriff's department is generally a county law enforcement agency.

Now, a while back I had to go to our local federal building to pick up some papers. Security requires you to show state issued photo ID when signing in. I got in showing my employee ID badge, as it was issued by the state, has a signature, photo and expiration date.

1. Sponsored Links