Default Parents Won't Let Their Adult Child Remove Her Property From Their Home

My question involves personal property located in the State of: California and Colorado

Thanks for pointers regarding this. My 35-year old girlfriend has lived all her life with her parents. They are well-to-do, she is a single child, and they are very controlling. She has no employment and has always worked domestically for them and been her mother's constant companion. Her parents are strict and very old-fashioned, to say the least.

She came to stay with me and let her parents know she would not return for Thanksgiving. Her parents disapprove of the relationship (which has been going on for 4 years). Her mother has canceled her health insurance, packed up her clothes, jewelry and letters, and threatened to give them to Goodwill. Her mother cleaned out her life's savings (a paltry small amount, but all she has put away ever) which was in a joint account as she was never "allowed" to have one just her own. Her mother claims nothing is hers as she has gotten everything from them her whole life.

I would like to help her recover her clothes, her nest-egg, and her musical instruments from her parents. What kind of legal channels are available?
    We have tried to be conciliatory and reasonable, unfortunately the parents are none of these things and believe they can starve her out.

Default Re: Legal Recourse for Recovering Property from Parents of a Non-Minor

anything that was a gift is your gf's property. Anything she bought is hers. She has no claims to anything else.

the money is an especially important issue. Since your gf never worked, how did she put anything in the account? How can that be her nest egg? Funds in a joint account are owned by both parties. There is no restriction on either party regarding taking the money out.

sounds like it's time for her to grow up, get a job, and realize how good she had it at her parent's home. I mean, 35? Really?

If she believes she has a valid legal claim to anything, she can either make a formal demand on her parents to allow her to pick up the stuff. If they refuse, she can sue them. She does not have to make a formal demand first if she does not want to.

unfortunately the parents are none of these things and believe they can starve her out.
    starve her out? Her parents are not obligated to feed and cloth a 35 yo child. It sounds like she's your problem now.

Apparently as you said she has never provided anything for herself. Therefore, she can certainly sue for what she can prove she owns via gifting. You wanted to be her provider and protector, open up your wallet and replace mom n dad. I hope the juice is worth the squeeze.

Quote Quoting Disagreeable
    View Post
    I hope the juice is worth the squeeze.
    Nominated for "Phrase of the Week" !!!

Quote Quoting aardvarc
    View Post
    Nominated for "Phrase of the Week" !!!

Heartily agreed!

Love,

The 43-ers

1. Sponsored Links