Unhappy Caught Shoplifting at Target

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Massachusetts

I am 19 years old and was caught shoplifting $160 of merchandise from Target. They took my license and made a copy and called the police but I was not arrested. The manager at Target said I would be billed a fine for the merchandise and for his time, and the police officer said he was going to send me a court summons. What should I expect from the court summons? How much money will I have to pay in fees and what will my penalty from the court most likely be? Will this be on my recored forever or will I be able to have it expunged? What should I say in court? Also, I would like to keep this from my parents, is that possible? ANY advice at all will be extremely appreciated, from what to say in court, how to handle this situation, and what the outcome will most likely be. THANK YOU!

Default Re: - Caught Shoplifting at Target

Shoplifting over $100 in MA comes with a fine of up to $1000 (this is separate from the civil demand) and/or up to two and a half years in jail.

Expungement occurs rarely in MA and only in very limited situations. This is not one of those situations; ergo, expungement will not happen. Depending on exactly what you are convicted of and sentenced to, sealing is a possibility but it will not happen quickly. If you are lucky enough to be sentenced to only probation, sealing the record CAN (which is not the same as WILL) occur as soon as your probation is over. If you are sentenced to anything more than that, it will be a minimum of 5 years before sealing can occur. There is no guarantee, under any circumstances, that sealing will occur. MA is tough on shoplifters, and I'm glad of it.

Thank you for ensuring that I will now pay higher prices because you thought you could get away with something.

1. Sponsored Links