Default Claim of an Undisclosed Water Leak After a Home Sale

My question involves real estate located in: Western Colorado

Hello all! We sold our home after living there for 20 plus years a few months ago. The new owners are now claiming that the house had a water leak before the sale and now they have mold and damage to parts of the home and are trying to blame us. They had an inspection done on the home and nothing was found related to water. They are asking us to turn this into our insurance company or pay them for the damages.

During the 20 plus years that we lived there, we never had any water issues and find this a little difficult to believe.

What should we do?

Thanks,
    Doug

Default Re: Buyer Now Says the House Has a Water Leak After Living There

So what did you see when you investigated the claim?

Default Re: Buyer Now Says the House Has a Water Leak After Living There

We have not had anyone look into this claim. We have pictures and a copy of the inspection report from the inspector they hired before buying the home.

Default Re: Claim of an Undisclosed Water Leak After a Home Sale

On the surface it appears they are dead in the water.

Should I have our lawyer respond or should I simply send a nice letter asking them to leave us alone? They are trying to say that we didn't disclose the water issue and that we committed fraud and either want a cash payment or they will take us to court. They are just looking for something for nothing and they don't realize that we will not lay down because we know that there was never an issue with this home like they are claiming.

Thanks,
    Doug

Quote Quoting Disagreeable
    View Post
    On the surface it appears they are dead in the water.
    I see what you did there.

Should I have our lawyer respond or should I simply send a nice letter asking them to leave us alone? They are trying to say that we didn't disclose the water issue and that we committed fraud and either want a cash payment or they will take us to court. They are just looking for something for nothing and they don't realize that we will not lay down because we know that there was never an issue with this home like they are claiming.
    If you have a lawyer and wish to utilize him/her, now would be a good time to wind up the key on him. Sometimes a letter from an attorney carries more weight than a KMA letter from a non-lawyer possible defendant/target.

Nobody here has any idea if you the disclosure was filled out accurately. It is was and especially since their inspector missed this, I wouldn't get too worked up about it. It definitely is not fraud if your disclosures were honest and complete to the best of your knowledge.

one note:

mold of any serious quantity does not develop overnight. If there is a serious showing of mold, I would investigate this a bit before telling them to shove off.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    I see what you did there.

If you have a lawyer and wish to utilize him/her, now would be a good time to wind up the key on him. Sometimes a letter from an attorney carries more weight than a KMA letter from a non-lawyer possible defendant/target.

Nobody here has any idea if you the disclosure was filled out accurately. It is was and especially since their inspector missed this, I wouldn't get too worked up about it. It definitely is not fraud if your disclosures were honest and complete to the best of your knowledge.

one note:

mold of any serious quantity does not develop overnight. If there is a serious showing of mold, I would investigate this a bit before telling them to shove off.

Just spoke with them today and will have a letter sent off by the end of the week! It just stinks having someone blame you for something you know wasn't there just so they can benefit from it, very stressful! Mold can easily grow within 24 to 48 hours, and will begin to colonize in 1 to 12 days from what I remember from school, so who knows what they did since moving in.

Thanks again for the advice and we will keep everyone updated!
    Doug

1. Sponsored Links