Default Can Someone Other Than the Registered Owner of the Vehicle Contest a Parking Ticket

My question involves a traffic citation from the state of: California (San Jose)

I (or rather the car that I drive) got a ticket for parking on a red curb which I plan to contest since the curb was painted by the homeowner and not the city. My car is registered to a family member. Can I fight the ticket or do they have to?

The ticket was issued by a parking enforcement officer so there is no summons with the owner's name listed or anything like that.

Default Re: Can Someone Other Than the Registered Owner of the Vehicle Contest a Parking Tick

Quote Quoting HanShotFirst
    View Post
    My question involves a traffic citation from the state of: California (San Jose)

I (or rather the car that I drive) got a ticket for parking on a red curb which I plan to contest since the curb was painted by the homeowner and not the city. My car is registered to a family member. Can I fight the ticket or do they have to?

The ticket was issued by a parking enforcement officer so there is no summons with the owner's name listed or anything like that.
    You can get written permission from the registered owner to contest it on their behalf. The information should be sufficient to show that the person in the letter is the registered owner (contact info, ID number, etc.). A notarized statement might be best, but not necessarily required. You might want to call the hearing agency and ask them what they'd prefer.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Default Re: Can Someone Other Than the Registered Owner of the Vehicle Contest a Parking Tick

Apparently San Jose sells red curb no parking zones to residents. When the paint fades, the resident is supposed to pay them to again come out and "touch up" the paint. This might be an enterprising homeowner who tried to save the touch up fee and it is a valid zone.

Quote Quoting Disagreeable
    View Post
    Apparently San Jose sells red curb no parking zones to residents. When the paint fades, the resident is supposed to pay them to again come out and "touch up" the paint. This might be an enterprising homeowner who tried to save the touch up fee and it is a valid zone.
    It won't do much good ... they've lost so many cops (more than 200 in the last 2-3 years) that they don't even do much traffic enforcement, for the most part - much less parking. Parking enforcement? Yeesh! Exceedingly rare, and generally only done by the PE (non-sworn) unit.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links