Default Meeting Ignition Interlock Requirements for an Out-of-State DUI Suspension

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: Florida.
    In 2009, I was convicted of DUI for the 1st time. My license was suspended until completion of counseling, payment of fines, etc. I was also ordered to have an interlock device installed for 6 months. However, soon after finishing all these requirements, (except interlock) I moved abroad for work. During that time, my suspended license expired. I am now returning to the US, probably to the DC/Virginia area. What steps would I need to take to get a license in Virginia? I understand I have to pay suspension and renewal fees in Florida to get a new valid license, but would I have to get an interlock device in Florida and drive there every two months to have it calibrated? If the car I own is in Florida, how do I get it from Florida to Virginia without having an interlock device installed? Can a judge retroactively waive the requirement if it is found to be onerous?

Default Re: Meeting Ignition Interlock Requirements for an Out-of-State DUI Suspension

Quote Quoting galloglass
    View Post
    What steps would I need to take to get a license in Virginia?
    You would need to reinstate your Florida license, then apply for and qualify for a Virginia license.
    Quote Quoting galloglass
    I understand I have to pay suspension and renewal fees in Florida to get a new valid license, but would I have to get an interlock device in Florida and drive there every two months to have it calibrated?
    As the Florida DMV site indicates,
    Quote Quoting If a customer moves out of state, what happens to the interlock requirement?
    If he has a Florida license, the requirement follows him. Florida will not clear the driver record until all requirements are met. Please contact the appropriate Florida ignition interlock vendor to coordinate installation and service out of state.
    Quote Quoting galloglass
    If the car I own is in Florida, how do I get it from Florida to Virginia without having an interlock device installed?
    You will want to look for a Florida-approved vendor that does business in your state.
    Quote Quoting galloglass
    Can a judge retroactively waive the requirement if it is found to be onerous?
    You are free to petition the Florida court to waive the requirement. I expect that the court would find that it is not an onerous requirement, and to say "no".

1. Sponsored Links