Angry How to Determine the Fair Market Value of an Easement

My question involves an easement in the state of Washington. When we purchased our home in 2004 from the sellers
    (Our current neighbors) they had a driveway dividing our property in 2. In our purchase agreement, we had it added the buyers would agree to move the driveway but no specific timeframe was put in place. They currently have their house listed for sale & we felt the need to protect ourselves as owners of the property their driveway lies on. We'd like to find the best way to do so- either by determining fair market value for the easement square footage or have them move the driveway to the far side of our property (though regardless it would still be an easement)

What would be the best way to do so? Neither they nor their real estate agent have contacted us about this matter though both are quite obviously aware of it.

Default Re: Easements- Fair Market Value

Quote Quoting Schmidthouse
    View Post
    My question involves an easement in the state of Washington. When we purchased our home in 2004 from the sellers
    (Our current neighbors) they had a driveway dividing our property in 2. In our purchase agreement, we had it added the buyers would agree to move the driveway but no specific timeframe was put in place. They currently have their house listed for sale & we felt the need to protect ourselves as owners of the property their driveway lies on. We'd like to find the best way to do so- either by determining fair market value for the easement square footage or have them move the driveway to the far side of our property (though regardless it would still be an easement)

What would be the best way to do so? Neither they nor their real estate agent have contacted us about this matter though both are quite obviously aware of it.
    Did you mean to say that the sellers would move the driveway? I ask because you were the buyers in that instance so if the buyers had to move the driveway that would be you.

Default Re: Easements- Fair Market Value

Sorry. I see how that would be misinterpreted. In our original contract the driveway was supposed to be moved by the people who sold us our house (also our next door neighbors). They currently have had their house listed for sale , the driveway/easement was never moved & if they sell, does our agreement become void? Or would we have to draft something up with the new owners, either as a right of way/easement agreement (complete with either a one-time payment for the square footage or annual payment?) or have them move the easement to the far end of our property (so it at least would not be split in half)?

Default Re: How to Determine the Fair Market Value of an Easement

You should consult a lawyer about the court issuing an injunction prohibiting the sale until they perform.

For starters, you should notify the listing realtor in writing of the encumbrance you are claiming on the adjoining property. It needs to be a part of any disclosure to a prospective buyer if valid.

Apparently you still need to decide what your hoped-for outcome is in this situation. You should be discussing this with a local attorney in the near future.

If my spouse had listened to me in the first place.... It would have been done ages ago. C'est la vie. Thank you for the advice I pretty much knew was coming all along.

1. Sponsored Links