Default My Daughter Was Injured by Another Child at School

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Virginia
    In May, my 14 year old daughter was in class (private school) and was pushed from behind by another student (a boy). She collided with another student, knocking heads and teeth. She had 3 chips in her front teeth and was subsequently diagnosed with a concussion. The other student also had a concussion. All involved agree that the boy meant no harm. My daughter's teeth were bonded to repair the damage, and she ended up having a subsequent emergency root canal. The day after the incident, his mother said "she would like to pay our expenses."

The boy's mother now refuses to pay our out-of-pocket dental expenses ($1900) and says she never offered to do so, and that kids will be kids and we should forget about it. We're not asking for reimbursal for our minimal out-of-pocket expenses related to the concussion, lost work time, etc. It is likely that there will be future dental work needed (root canal in the other front tooth, more bonding, crowns/implants).

We have offered her the option of making payments on the debt, but she has refused, saying she has no money. The child's mother doesn't have a lot of money, but her ex-husband (she lives in a guest house on his farm property) may be better positioned to compensate us.

What are our options?

Default Re: My Daughter Was Injured by Another Child at School

Take mother, father and child (if allowed in VA) to small claims court.

And very often, getting the judgment is the easy part. If she's "uncollectable", you're going to be no better off unfortunately.

Thank you for the prompt response! I share this concern around collecting the money as well. That said, she is an employee of the school where the incident occurred so it seems that garnishment might be a possiblity.

Was kicking around if it made sense to hire an attorney to write a strongly worded letter first in an attempt to collect from Mom and Dad.

Any additional thoughts?

1. Sponsored Links