Default Injured By a Drunk Driver Who Rear-Ended My Car

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Washington

Hi folks,
    I wish I would have found this site earlier. I feel as if I am constantly getting the run around and ultimately the shaft. I was involved in an accident with my children. We were rear ended by a drunk driver at a four way stop on a rural rd. The posted speed limit was 40 mph and the driver was in excess to that. Needless to say the car was totaled. My children were banged up a bit but mostly suffered a lot of emotional damage like anxiety. Especially when we drive by the sight of the accident. I on the other hand received injuries to my neck, mid- back, chest and left foot. I have had an uphill battle due to having prior lower back issues. This requires a discussion on its own but not my focus at the moment. When I was taken away by the ambulance the arresting officer had admitted to me that the adjacent suburb city had release the DUI driver the day before and he had received his vehicle from impound that day as well. That was his 3rd DUI. When we were hit it was his 4th. I had returned to work the next morning only because I had been out of work and could not afford to not be there. I needed my things out of my car so my wife went to retrieve them. While she was there the owner of the tow yard told her to follow the gentleman that he had just helped and that he was walking to the same area of storage. She quickly recognized him when she saw which vehicle he had went to. She had picked up my kids from the accident and knew what the other vehicle looked like. Apparently he had never went to jail. He had a medical condition of some sort.

My question is: If you have some one that is habitually committing felony crimes (4 dui's seem to be a pattern) and now someone has been injured where does that responsibility lie? If he had been detained properly, our last 3 1/2 years might still be in tact. Now I know that his insurance covers the property loss and the injury case but what about the crime. To me, it's like letting a pedophile go and then re offends the next day. Does someone have to die before we care? I had called the arresting officer and he was in agreement to me and a bit baffled himself. I have brought this up to my attorney many times and he just looks at me like he doesn't understand what I am saying. All replies and input are welcome.

Default Re: Repeat Offender Offends, Repeat Offender Offends, Repeat Offender Offends, Repeat

I'm sure that your attorney understands what you are saying. Unfortunately, what you are saying is irrelevant with regards to your case.

The other driver was negligent and hit you.

The details don't matter with regards to your claim.

You're entitled to monetary damages for your (and your children's injuries) based on those injuries and costs. You don't get more money because it was the other driver's 4th DUI.

That's a societal and law enforcement issue that has nothing to do with your claim.

As for your children's (or your) anxiety, unless you are being treated by a mental health professional, there is no money in that other than the value of the pain and suffering associated with the physical injury.

You ask "what about the crime?"

Well, he will be punished for the 4th DUI but no amount of punishment will keep a drunk from eventually drinking and driving again some day. We can only hope that he gets lots of jail time out of this one and perhaps decides that it's time to change his life.

Default Re: Repeat Offender Offends, Repeat Offender Offends, Repeat Offender Offends, Repeat

My question is: If you have some one that is habitually committing felony crimes (4 dui's seem to be a pattern) and now someone has been injured where does that responsibility lie?
    with the person causing the injury; the driver

If he had been detained properly, our last 3 1/2 years might still be in tact.
    or if he had jumped off a bridge before that or lost his life in Iraq or Viet Nam or a million other possibilities. The fact remains; injuries caused by his actions are his responsibility.

Now I know that his insurance covers the property loss and the injury case but what about the crime.
    that is up to the state to deal with. Simple as that.

1. Sponsored Links