Default Suspension Based on a Report That I Threatened My Girlfriend

My question involves a relationship in the state of: North Carolina

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: North Carolina

Hello all. I work for a major corporation that has a global presence. Today at work I was called into the office only to be met by my manager, an employee witness, corporate security, and 2 police officers. Also, a headquarters HR rep was on speaker.

Let me provide you with some backstory. I have been dating a coworkers daughter for a year, and we have had a fantastic relationship until a few days ago she suddenly stopped talking to me, and told her parents she was afraid of me. Not due to any threats, or actions, just claimed my recent behavior has been different. I have NEVER hit her or threatened to do so. She told her parents all of the times we argued and yelled at each other, and how she no longer wishes to live with me. That is fine with me, I talked to her mom in person yesterday and said I was sorry this stuff got to this point, and that I wish to indefinitely terminate the relationship with her daughter. She seemed fine, and tried to talk to me as a mother and give me advice, and even invited me to meet her Friday at a restaurant just her to just hang out. All seemed to reach an agreement, and I stated I wanted to redistribute our belongings back to who they belonged to, she said we will do that later. All seemed fine. I even worked beside her today and smiled and talked to her very kindly and friendly, and confirmed our dinner plans.

Later into my shift, after she had left was when I was called into the office to be blindsided by what I stated in the first paragraph. I was so scared, I thought I was going to be arrested or terminated. Corporate said that my girlfriends mom (my coworker) has said that I threatened my girlfriend (whom I have no contact with), threatened her, and threatened to harm myself. All of which was false, and made me very upset that she would even think I would harm them when I care about her daughter more than anything and have always treated her like a queen. This was a very abrupt change, we were literally living together as usual and going out and being sexually active a few days ago, and then the very next day a complete 180 and attack on me. Very very strange.

What bothers me is that the company, understandably, has to act on these allegations and investigate them; and I have been suspended without pay. When I spoke to the officer, he told me that any allegations made against anyone has to be taken seriously until proven otherwise. Which means you could ruin somebody's life with lies nowadays. They will believe their word against yours.

My question is how should the investigation play out? The only thing they can do is take statements at this point and I feel that her mom will force her whole family to lie against me. Is that enough to constitute termination, or worse, criminal action? Just verbal accusations even if it is corroborating from multiple family members? Her mom has always been very sneaky and mean. I feel was though she will try to get a restraining order against me, which I will gladly sign and follow as they are all CRAZY I have discovered.

Also, if the investigation plays out truthfully, and they discover there was no actual threats, can I have her prosecuted for lying against me? What about my lost pay from work? Can I sue for that or damages? I am terribly distraught about this whole thing. I feel as though my life has been forcibly ruined.

Thank you for your advice!

Default Re: Break Up Having Work Effects and Criminal Charges

Absent a contract or CBA, they don't actually need a reason to terminate your employment.

You won't get far trying to sue her, either.

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    Absent a contract or CBA, they don't actually need a reason to terminate your employment.

You won't get far trying to sue her, either.
    We are actually union employees, if that helps?

Consult your BA and contract, file a grievance requesting lost wages and benefits, reserving the right to amend it in the future. In the future exercise your Weingarten Rights.

Quote Quoting Concerned92
    View Post
    We are actually union employees, if that helps?

Yes, it does help. Do as Disagreeable suggests.

Being suspended without pay is no different than being laid off/discharged. If the reason you're not being allowed to work doesn't amount to misconduct, then you are eligible for UI benefits and that is how you mitigate the loss of your wages. Go file.

1. Sponsored Links