Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Purchasing a Residential Facility Care for Elderly

    My question involves business law in the state of: California


    My I am looking into buying my friend's house where she is running an RFCE (Residential Facility Care for Elderly) business. Our agreement is to buy her house for $850K and for an additional $40K, she will hand over her business to me but I will be running it under her business license while I am working to get my own license. We thought that we would put it on paper that she will hire me as her administrator to be able to run the business with little supervision from her. I wanted to make sure we are not breaking any law doing this and hoping that someone here can clear up some of our questions:

    1. What does my friend need to do with her business license after I purchase her home? Does she need to submit rental agreement with me to the licensing agency for the change and so she can continue running the business in my house?
    2. Assuming I ensure all items, residents and areas of the house are in compliance with RFCE law, how long will it take for me to get my own license?
    3. Since the business is still running under her license and she wanted me to pay her the $40K up front, what should I do to protect myself to make sure she won't run away with the money or that I will still have the business that I paid $40K for when I finally get my own license?

    Any advise is much appreciated. Thank you very much!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: Purchasing a Residential Facility Care for Elderly

    You need to retain an accountant to review the finances of the business and advise you as to the purchase price. You need to retain a business lawyer to advise you in the purchase, draft a contract that protects any deposit you pay and your interests going forward. You can get started with the licensing process here.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Expenses: Can the Noncustodial Parent Provide Child Care to Avoid Paying for Professional Care
    By empressivory in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-26-2013, 08:14 AM
  2. Long-Term Care: Long-Term Care Facility is Substandard
    By misjustice4me in forum Disability and Elder Law
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 08:41 PM
  3. Unemployment Benefits: Unemployment if Unable to Look for Work Due to Care of Elderly, Disabled and Surgery
    By elderly19joy in forum Employment and Labor
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2011, 09:02 AM
  4. Financial Exploitation: In Home Care Provider Taking Advantage of Elderly Client
    By msmmmore in forum Disability and Elder Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2011, 05:28 PM
  5. Caregivers: Can I Be Forced to Care for Elderly Abusive Parent
    By NorthGeorgiaGirl in forum Disability and Elder Law
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources