Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Back Injury in a Car Accident with Delayed Treatment

My question involves a traffic accident in the State of: Virginia

I was involved in a MVA in Sept of 2012. I was going home from the dentist office with my young daughter in the car with me. A big truck driven by a teen texting, crashed into the back of my brand new car as i was slowly stopping. It was a very violent crashed and demolished the rear and front of my car as she pushed me into trees. The teenager girl was cited for following to close by the state police and her parents admitted fault to her insurance company.

I did not immediately go to the emergency room as i was in shock and concerned with my little girl who was crying and complaining of a hurt leg. I went the next day because i woke up in extreme pain and was unable to work for a few days. I would have stayed out longer but I didn't not have to the sick time to take off. My job was sedentary too. I went to Urgent care and was diagnosed with cervical, lumbar and thoracic sprains and given very strong anti inflammatory medications and muscle relaxers. I was told to follow up with a physician in a day or two.

I went to a chiropractor because i did not have a primary care doctor and i had just moved to the area. The chiropractor was close to my office and he treated me for 6 weeks and i had the deep tissue massage. It really seemed to help but i kept having muscle cramps in my hand and was referred to a neurologist. The neurologist conducted a test which producted normal results and i was diagnosed with muscle strain of my neck. My back pain returned and i went to my new family physician who sent me directly to an orthopedic surgeon. I had an MRI and x-rays. I was diagnosed with a slight bulge in my lumbar area and spondylosis without mylopethy, failure of conservative care, lumbago, DDD, stenosis. The ortho surgeon conducted 2 steroid injections with fluoroscope and it didn't do much. I had a repeat of one injection into the Sacrum. He diagnosed me with Sacroiitis. I am still in pain and the surgeon told me i would need to repeat physical therapy if pain persist.

I do have a pre-existing T-8 myofascial syndrome diagnosis from the military. My T-8 region is fine and i have not received any treatment except adjustments there. My treatment lasted 11 months. My lawyer has been haggling with the adjuster for a while now and i can't get an answer on how much compensation i should receive. I really want future medical expense so i can continue to be treated when we settle. My insurance does not cover physical therapy. My lawyer won't return my email. I am not sure where to turn. Thanks for any advice. My surgeon wrote a letter to my lawyer stating all of his treatment for me was due to the MVA.

My total medical expenses to date are $11,400 and my lost wages are $2,000.

Please excuse any typos.

Default Re: Back Injury in a Car Accident with Delayed Treatment

Did you have a question?

Quote Quoting Disagreeable
    View Post
    Did you have a question?
    yes, i have never hired an attorney before and was curious what my settlement range might be? I know every case is different and there may be no way to tell. I emailed my lawyer

and he did not reply. I would like to start rehab again so i can get back on my mountain bike.

Quote Quoting Lowell Dearsman
    View Post
    yes, i have never hired an attorney before and was curious what my settlement range might be? I know every case is different and there may be no way to tell.
    You're right, there is no way to tell.

Even your lawyer won't know until you've fully recovered or have reached maximum medical improvement.

Quote Quoting Lowell Dearsman
    View Post
    I would like to start rehab again so i can get back on my mountain bike.
    Then go start.

You don't need anybody's permission to take care of your own health, regardless of whether or not you ever get a settlement.

If you need rehab, get rehab.

I am catching an inference you stopped treatment and now wish to restart it.

No, i finished treatment, i reached the maximum medical improvement. I have not started anything, my lawyer is in negotiations with the adjuster of the offending party i believe.

I hope to get furture medical expense as part of a settlement so i can go back later to physical therapy. I think I am ok now but i know i'll need it later. My health insurance does not pay for physical therapy.

I was trying to get a range on a settlement. It seems this has been going on forever, it's like watching the twilight zone. I guess nobody knows, not even my attorney, i suspect he does but refuses to tell me.

We don't have enough information - not even close to enough - to suggest a range. I suggest explicitly asking your lawyer what numbers have been discussed.

Future medical expense for what? If you have reached max med improvement and are no longer being treated, there is no more medical expense in the future to collect on.

Lowell Dearsman;753268]No, i finished treatment, i reached the maximum medical improvement. I have not started anything, my lawyer is in negotiations with the adjuster of the offending party i believe.
    if you have finished treatment, then how does this make any sense:

I would like to start rehab again so i can get back on my mountain bike.
    I hope to get furture medical expense as part of a settlement so i can go back later to physical therapy. I think I am ok now but i know i'll need it later. My health insurance does not pay for physical therapy.
    if treatment is completed, how can you make the statement you know you will need it later?

I was trying to get a range on a settlement.
    somewhere between $0 and $100,000,000 but more likely closer to the lower number.

I guess nobody knows, not even my attorney, i suspect he does but refuses to tell me.
    your lawyer is in a much better position to suggest a POSSIBLE range of what you might expect. He cannot promise anything.

i don't even care about the money, dayum. The surgeon wrote that if i continued to have pain after my last cortisone shot that i would have to repeat physical therapy. Cortisone shots do not last that long and most are limited to three a year. My insurance does not cover PT, i am still in pain, the lawyer knows this and i do not have the funds to pay for it. Can i fire my lawyer and just take up my own case? I am being dead honest. I would rather just work it myself.

- - - Updated - - -

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast