Default Felony Conviction, Probation Violation and Parole

Felony in 1983 in Texas
    Probation
    Broke Probation (young and DUMB and BROKE)
    Located during traffic stop out of state (full time job/ good person daily)
    Returned
    Sentenced
    Parole (star student!)

This is going to sound stupid but it's not about me. It's about being a parent. I have never slipped again. To tell you the truth, I turned myself in for something I did wrong that I would have never been charged with. I wasn't even on the radar and they must have thought I was retarded when I walked in but that didn't matter.

So, I would like to know what my options are for privacy. I was 17 at the time but I broke probation at 18 because I couldn't make the restitution payments and I didn't know any better.

I don't expect to have it erased and I don't expect to get a pardon but I have been told there is another option for sealing the record so that unless I really screw up, no one would ever be able to use it against me in regular situations like applying for a job or those goofy web based background check sites.

If you know of similar situations, I would be interested in hearing the outcome. Thank you!

Default Re: Crime(felony)/Probation/Broke Probation/Parole

From what I've heard a felony older then 10 years is no big deal, you don't have to put it down on applications and employers (non government) really don't hold it agianst you.

Quote Quoting BigGreen21
    View Post
    From what I've heard a felony older then 10 years is no big deal, you don't have to put it down on applications and employers (non government) really don't hold it agianst you.
    If you follow this advice, be ready to get fired when the employer finds out.

It means the employer has hired a liar.

Quote Quoting 1234qwerty
    View Post
    Felony in 1983 in Texas
    Probation
    Broke Probation (young and DUMB and BROKE)
    Located during traffic stop out of state (full time job/ good person daily)
    Returned
    Sentenced
    Parole (star student!)

This is going to sound stupid but it's not about me. It's about being a parent. I have never slipped again. To tell you the truth, I turned myself in for something I did wrong that I would have never been charged with. I wasn't even on the radar and they must have thought I was retarded when I walked in but that didn't matter.

So, I would like to know what my options are for privacy. I was 17 at the time but I broke probation at 18 because I couldn't make the restitution payments and I didn't know any better.

I don't expect to have it erased and I don't expect to get a pardon but I have been told there is another option for sealing the record so that unless I really screw up, no one would ever be able to use it against me in regular situations like applying for a job or those goofy web based background check sites.

If you know of similar situations, I would be interested in hearing the outcome. Thank you!
    Even if you are able to have your criminal record "expunged" or sealed since you were a juvenile, that record is still available to the courts and law enforcement and any database where it might already reside for background checks, so if it is already comming up on a background check, expungement is generally, not likely to help you much. A pardon may be granted by the Govenor here is a link http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/exec...exec_clem.html
    and info on expungement

Expungement

In Texas, under some circumstances, you may be able to have a criminal record expunged, which means that the records are returned to you or destroyed.

You may be eligible for expungement if:

* A criminal charge against you has been dismissed, you have been found not guilty, or you have been pardoned; or
    * Someone used your name or identification when arrested (identity theft); or
    * You are a juvenile who has completed a deferred sentence; or
    * You are an underage drinking first offender.

If you are eligible to have your records expunged, you may file a petition in court. A person who has reached age 17 must make a sworn written request to have juvenile records expunged.

In addition, if you have received a discharge and dismissal from deferred adjudication community supervision (an alternative sentencing program in Texas), you may petition the court for a nondisclosure order following dismissal for some misdemeanors, five years after dismissal for other misdemeanors, or 10 years after dismissal for felonies. A nondisclosure order prohibits criminal justice agencies from disclosing criminal history information to the public.

Motor vehicle records cannot be expunged.

1. Sponsored Links