Default Can You Be Required to Come to Work if You Call in Sick

My question involves employment and labor law for the state of: Massachusetts

I am aware that we are an "at-will" state.
    My question - After calling in sick following all the parameters to do so, can an employer, manager, boss call you into work anyway?

Story -

My wife calls in sick giving her manager more than an hours notice as required by Employee Handbook. The manager calls her back, she is to leave a call back number per handbook and demands she comes to work anyway.
    My wife only has a cold nothing life threatening...does an employer have the right to demand her to come back to work?
    No union sadly, they would have had protections.

Any help would be appreciated.

CJK

Default Re: Calling in Sick

Yes, they can do that.

Yes, they can fire her if she refuses.

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    Yes, they can do that.

Yes, they can fire her if she refuses.
    Ditto that.

Unless the illness is protected by FMLA, and from what you have posted it was not, the employer is not obligated to approve time off. Even for medical reasons.

I think the employer is being very shortsighted. I think that by refusing to allow your wife one day off now, they may end up with several people off later as she spreads her germs.

But they are not violating any laws or any protected rights.

i've been called in with the flu ... it made for a fun day ! i lived

Even with a Doctor's Note....they can still make you work.

I've worked carrying a puke bucket. I got my signage up, you would think they would have been grateful...but they were upset I asked to leave once the necessary signage was in place.....

I've worked RETAIL with a doctor's note saying I should not work, highly contagious. I apologize to anyone who caught Strep Throat from me, but my boss ordered me into work. Complete with my bottle of Robitissun and my antibitotics in hand.

I can see both sides of this argument actually.

One the one hand, cbg is correct.

But on the other hand? I'd be willing to bet that a good percentage of "I'm out sick, I have a cold" calls are nothing more than a bad case of the Mondays.

Heck, I've done it in the past. Granted, that was in a country where "mental health days" weren't overly popular

Not every Employer forces the employee to come to work if he is sick,Some do not get the idea of getting sick if a person has just got cold ,If its serious and you cant move yourself from your house then you can convince him about that and show them up your medical certificate.

Quote Quoting jacobwilson8
    View Post
    Not every Employer forces the employee to come to work if he is sick,Some do not get the idea of getting sick if a person has just got cold ,If its serious and you cant move yourself from your house then you can convince him about that and show them up your medical certificate.
    OP, do not, I repeat DO NOT follow this advice!

Barring FMLA, a "medical certificate" has no force in law. An employer is NOT obligated to accept a doctor's note unless the employer, the employee and the medical condition all qualify for FMLA.

1. Sponsored Links