Default Causing an Accident With an Unlicensed, Uninsured Driver

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: CA

I got into my very first accident and I could be at fault, I didn't see the car coming from my right as I made a left turn. I had a stop sign, he didn't. The damages are not major and he wanted to just ignore that it happened, but I needed to get his info. It turns out, he does not have a valid license, and only provided me with his CA ID and he also does not have ins. How could this case turn out? I'd hate for my ins to pay him for his damages when he shouldn't have been driving to begin with. Is there a time frame to file a police report so that hopefully he can stay off the streets and not drive?

Default Re: Accident with Someone Who Has No Valid Dl and No Ins

Quote Quoting rve77
    View Post
    My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: CA

I got into my very first accident and I could be at fault, I didn't see the car coming from my right as I made a left turn. I had a stop sign, he didn't. The damages are not major and he wanted to just ignore that it happened, but I needed to get his info. It turns out, he does not have a valid license, and only provided me with his CA ID and he also does not have ins. How could this case turn out? I'd hate for my ins to pay him for his damages when he shouldn't have been driving to begin with. Is there a time frame to file a police report so that hopefully he can stay off the streets and not drive?
    I suggest you phone your insurance company immediately and report the accident. I also suggest you inform the DMV as required. After that you've done all you are required to do, let your insurance company worry about what happens next.

Let your insurance company know and they can deal with it.

If you do call the police, understand that they may not take the report. Unless there was some injury, they are not obligated to take a collision report as a matter of law. And, also as a matter of law, they will not be able to assign fault on a late report.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

How do you post a new question?

1. Sponsored Links