Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rear Seat Passenger Severely Injured After Front Seat Passenger Jerked Steering Wheel

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Michigan

My 16 year old teenage son was severely injured when he was riding in the back seat (unbelted - legal age to ride in back seat without a seat belt is 16). The front seat passenger jerked the steering wheel for a joke, causing the driver to lose control and crash the car. The front seat passenger was charged with reckless driving causing severe bodily injury - but it's going to a jury trial. Guilty or not guilty?

Default Re: Passenger Jerks Steering Wheel and Causes Accident - Reckless Driving?

Quote Quoting pidee66
    View Post

My 16 year old teenage son was severely injured when he was riding in the back seat (unbelted - legal age to ride in back seat without a seat belt is 16). The front seat passenger jerked the steering wheel for a joke, causing the driver to lose control and crash the car. The front seat passenger was charged with reckless driving causing severe bodily injury - but it's going to a jury trial. Guilty or not guilty?
    I believe that the answer to that is guilty if the facts are proven in court.

Default Re: Passenger Jerks Steering Wheel and Causes Accident - Reckless Driving?

Quote Quoting pidee66
    View Post

Wild guess: Guilty.

Shouldn't make any difference.

Your son would still have a valid liability claim against the passenger and possibly against the driver as well if there was some horseplay going on between the driver and the passenger.

As for your son not wearing his seat belt, that was incredibly stupid even if legal. I hope he's learned his lesson about that.

The car hit a utility pole and flipped upside down in a swamp, becoming immersed in water. State troopers agreed that he would have been trapped inside the car and drowned if he'd been wearing a seat belt. Not advocating it, it was just one of those rare instances, but in this case he was pretty lucky. Thanks for your reply.

Please, save that type of story for those of us who aren't aware that you can release a seat belt by pushing a button.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Please, save that type of story for those of us who aren't aware that you can release a seat belt by pushing a button.
    Getting the smashed rear doors open under water would have been the problem here.

I was not aware that buckling your seat belt made it harder to open smashed doors.

Was everybody else in the vehicle ejected when it hit the tree? If not, did everybody who was not ejected, and severely injured as a result, drown?

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    I was not aware that buckling your seat belt made it harder to open smashed doors.

Was everybody else in the vehicle ejected when it hit the tree? If not, did everybody who was not ejected, and severely injured as a result, drown?
    No, the front end of the car wasn't damaged. The rear of the car took the direct impact against the pole.

And so you think it's okay to jerk the steering wheel and cause a horrendous accident - as long as everyone is seat belted in?

what are you after here? The driver's insurance will cover your child.

what were his injuries?

Just an opinion. Do you think the passenger is guilty or not guilty of reckless driving?

Fractured spine, ribs, concussion.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast