Default My Neighbor's Concrete Patio May Fail and Damage My Property

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

My nieghbor has a concrete patio in front of his house roughly 1ft away from my wood fence. With the way his lot is shaped, the land slopes down immediately after the patio ends. The patio was built after the house, but I'm not sure how long ago it was built. I've noticed that it has severely washed out underneath it and one side now has a slight slope towards my property. I think with the other additions he's added to the house it rerouted the water to end up washing out the soil under one side of the patio.

I'm concerned that the patio will eventually fail and cause damage to my fence. My thought process is: The concrete slab could just slide down the slope, or force soil to push against and damage my fence (the fence isn't shared). What options do I have to protect my fence from damage? Or is it just a waiting game and ask for damages at that point? If I can do something about it now, would I contact the city inspector? I talked to him and he said "its fine, nothing's wrong with it."

I tried to find what OKC's building codes were regarding it, and the I found one page that said it had to be like 4" thick, but his looks thinner.

*I wasn't 100% sure what topic this would be

Default Re: My Neighbor's Concrete Patio May Fail and Damage My Property

Quote Quoting Will-Haze
    View Post
    My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

My nieghbor has a concrete patio in front of his house roughly 1ft away from my wood fence. With the way his lot is shaped, the land slopes down immediately after the patio ends. The patio was built after the house, but I'm not sure how long ago it was built. I've noticed that it has severely washed out underneath it and one side now has a slight slope towards my property. I think with the other additions he's added to the house it rerouted the water to end up washing out the soil under one side of the patio.

I'm concerned that the patio will eventually fail and cause damage to my fence. My thought process is: The concrete slab could just slide down the slope, or force soil to push against and damage my fence (the fence isn't shared). What options do I have to protect my fence from damage? Or is it just a waiting game and ask for damages at that point? If I can do something about it now, would I contact the city inspector? I talked to him and he said "its fine, nothing's wrong with it."

I tried to find what OKC's building codes were regarding it, and the I found one page that said it had to be like 4" thick, but his looks thinner.

*I wasn't 100% sure what topic this would be
    There is nothing you can do at this point. You cannot sue someone because something MIGHT fail, and MIGHT damage your fence if it does.

1. Sponsored Links