Default Qualifying for Unemployment After Disability Benefits Run Out

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: CA

Hi all,

So I was working for a company and my project ended and i chose not to continue working there. So i left, and traveled for 3 months. I came back to the state, and was applying like crazy to other jobs, when I broke my foot. Disability says that i qualify as long as I was actively seeking work, so I have been able to qualify and get unemployment. I am finally walking more now and my disability is almost up, but i still don't have a job. What i want to know is, would i be eligible for unemployment benefits after my disability is up since i voluntarily left my job in april or does the fact that i was on disability get taken into consideration?

Also, does the unemployment investigator contact my last employer if i do apply for UE? I figured it couldn't hurt to apply and find out if i get it, but i don't want them calling HR and tarnishing my name at that company.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Qualifying for Unemployment After Disability Benefits Run Out

It is very, very hard to get unemployment benefits if you quit. Whether or not you are entitled to unemployment benefits is determined by the reason you left your job but you will have to have a very good reason attributable to your employer, (think, not being paid or being subjected to sexual harassment that didn't stop when you reported it) in order to get it when you voluntarily leave. No, your collecting disability will not be taken into consideration The fact that you were on disability is completely irrelevant and does not affect your eligibility at all. It's got nothing to do with why your job ended and that's the only thing that matters.

Of course the UI investigator contacts your employer. It's ridiculous to think otherwise. The employer will be contacted and will have the opportunity to reply to your claim.

Exactly what i was wondering. Thanks!

I have a similar question---I have been off work since the end of January 2013. I filed a work comp case against my employer however as typical they rejected the claim but the case is still open and I have an attorney. I've been collecting SDI this whole time which only runs for a year which will be up in the end of January/2014. I am going to be forced to terminate my employment this Dec 31st in order to start collecting my retirement benefits (I don't believe you can start receiving them until you retire. I'll be 62 in December) however my doctors have told me I am NOT to return to work there due to the tremendous stress which appears to be rampant within the company. My retirement is paid out over 5 years and is paid once a year in JUNE leaving me with no income from when SDI year is over until June. My question is since I haven't worked since Jan. 25th would I qualify for unemployment then while waiting for my retirement check in June 2014? I suffer extreme anxiety and have physical health issues now so I cannot return to similar work (which I wouldn't find anyway as it was film industry). If I were to file for SSD it sounds like it would take a hell of a lot of time and add more stress since my son-in-law filed for Social Security Disability due to Crohns and IBS and was denied after 18 months of waiting!!! He just had to hire an attorney to help him with that. I can't imagine what MY struggle would be like---I'd have a nervous breakdown given the xanax and antidepressants I already have to use daily. Any ideas for suggestions for state of CA.?

To qualify for unemployment you need to be able to work. If you're claiming to be disabled and unable to work, obviously that's not going to work.

?It does not appear you are able to work. Thus it is a moot point.

Quote Quoting jallen4767
    View Post
    I have a similar question---I have been off work since the end of January 2013. I filed a work comp case against my employer however as typical they rejected the claim but the case is still open and I have an attorney. I've been collecting SDI this whole time which only runs for a year which will be up in the end of January/2014. I am going to be forced to terminate my employment this Dec 31st in order to start collecting my retirement benefits (I don't believe you can start receiving them until you retire. I'll be 62 in December) however my doctors have told me I am NOT to return to work there due to the tremendous stress which appears to be rampant within the company. My retirement is paid out over 5 years and is paid once a year in JUNE leaving me with no income from when SDI year is over until June. My question is since I haven't worked since Jan. 25th would I qualify for unemployment then while waiting for my retirement check in June 2014? I suffer extreme anxiety and have physical health issues now so I cannot return to similar work (which I wouldn't find anyway as it was film industry). If I were to file for SSD it sounds like it would take a hell of a lot of time and add more stress since my son-in-law filed for Social Security Disability due to Crohns and IBS and was denied after 18 months of waiting!!! He just had to hire an attorney to help him with that. I can't imagine what MY struggle would be like---I'd have a nervous breakdown given the xanax and antidepressants I already have to use daily. Any ideas for suggestions for state of CA.?

I think if I found something part time and it had little stress I could work so it's not a moot point. My question was after disability ends if I have not found a job that I am able to do can I file for Unemployment and would I qualify if I haven't worked for a year?

Quote Quoting jallen4767
    View Post
    I think if I found something part time and it had little stress I could work so it's not a moot point. My question was after disability ends if I have not found a job that I am able to do can I file for Unemployment and would I qualify if I haven't worked for a year?
    You're either disabled and unable to work, or you're not disabled and can work.

It cannot be both. Pick one.

1. Sponsored Links