Post Can a New Owner Force Us to Sign a New Lease

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: New Hampshire

I am a college student in NH and was originally renting from a private landlord with five other roommates. Over the summer he sold the property to a rental business that took over the property. During the first few weeks of renting from them they offered for us to sign over to their new lease which was very different from our original. A major problem we have is that their security deposits they ask for are half of what we originally paid with the private landlord. When talking the new lease over they said we could not get the half that they don't require on their lease for a few months after we sign their lease. We are very upset about that being college students and feel like it is unfair. If anyone has some advice on what we could do that would be extremely helpful. It seems very sketchy that they are being so pushy with their lease and forcing us to go over to theirs giving us a deadline to sign theirs also. Along with this another problem we have is that their lease would cut our original lease back by one week with no compensation at all for the loss of week.

Default Re: Can a New Owner Force Us to Sign a New Lease

You are free to stick with your current lease until it ends. You won't get any portion of your security deposit back under the current lease until after it ends.

The new owner cannot force you to sign a new lease. They must abide by the standing lease. However, at the conclusion of that lease they will probably not renew the lease with you. At the conclusion of the lease, the company must return all or the appropiate portion of your security deposit based on the condition of the property when you moved in, not when they assumed the lease by purchase.

The previous are the correct answers to your issue.

The LL cannot force you to sign anything. Just tell them "sorry, charlie" and I'll want my full deposit back.

Make sure you take pics and get a final inspection that they SIGN something regarding condition upon you vacating the place.

1. Sponsored Links