Default Do I Need to Expunge my Record?

I applied for a job with a private security company a few weeks ago. I carried some documents that they needed from me one day and they informed me that my background check came back with a misdemeanor of a second degree assault in Prince Georges, Maryland, in 2001. This crime somehow ended up on my background check, even though I did not commit the crime. I was living in central Virginia when this happened.

The security company told me that unless this is cleared off my record, they cannot hire me. I called the court in Prince Georges to ask how to go about clearing my record. They told me that I have to file a petition for an expungement. However, after reading on some internet sites, none of the situations applies to my situation.

I am not sure what I should do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: Do I need to expunge my record?

Quote Quoting mole_j
    View Post
    I applied for a job with a private security company a few weeks ago. I carried some documents that they needed from me one day and they informed me that my background check came back with a misdemeanor of a second degree assault in Prince Georges, Maryland, in 2001. This crime somehow ended up on my background check, even though I did not commit the crime. I was living in central Virginia when this happened.

The security company told me that unless this is cleared off my record, they cannot hire me. I called the court in Prince Georges to ask how to go about clearing my record. They told me that I have to file a petition for an expungement. However, after reading on some internet sites, none of the situations applies to my situation.

I am not sure what I should do. Any advice would be appreciated.
    First, you can start by telling us the whole story. Criminal charges do not appear on someone's record in one State while they are living in another State, without some sort of story. What facts did you uncover concerning the happenings of the arrest and subsequent conviction? Also, are you saying that someone went through the entire arrest and conviction process while impersonating you?

I share the same name of the person on the police record. I did get a printout of the record that was at the court. However, it seems to be very incomplete. There is no report of a plea or punishment on the police record that I have. This is listed on the first page, I understand some of it but not all.

Date Comment
    010930 Sum issued 010930 Agency: ZP 16
    011102 Summons rturned unserved
    011106 Trial Keypoint 1:47:16 Reel 327213
    011106 Trial Keypoint 1:47:16 Reel 327213
    011106 011106, 1030A, G; Arrest Warrant to issue-9fo
    011106 011106; Zp Sher; ; Arr; K00174982-3
    011108 A to W
    011108 Case fwd to records

-end-

I did live in this area in 1998-1999 but on a military base in this area and I did work in this county from 1998-2000. However, when this happened I was living in Virginia.

I did not know anything about this until after I applied for a job and this came up on my background check. The lady at the court told me this should not have came up on my background check. How and why this appeared on my background check I do not know.

Expungement is not going to help you. If there was an arrest, there must be somehting besides a name in common, you will need to see the PD for the arrest record, which most likely will contain some sort of fingerprints, DOB or SSN, if it was based on a citation, that could be a more difficult problem to prove it wasn't you. If the information is the same then you may have a problem with ID theft. It can be less than 5 minutes from MD to VA so living in another state doesn't prove anything. It looks like you will have to physically go to Prince Georges, Maryland to get this removed from your record if you can prove it wasn't you, expungement only removes a public record, the same record would still exist that caused your background to be rejected. You may need somehting from the court to prove that there was a mistake.

1. Sponsored Links