Default Landlord Agreed to End Lease Early but Wants Compensation

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Pennsylvania

My lease is up at the end of October. I asked my landlord if i could break my lease a month early so I could move into a new place with a roomate. He agreed that would be ok through text message and verbally. This morning after I have already signed a lease for a new place he stated that even though we agreed that i could break my lease early he has now decided that I need to pay for the last month and he would just keep my security deposit. Can he do this after we already agreed? I was planning on using that to pay back my roomate who put up the whole security deposit for the new place.

Default Re: Landlord Agreed

You didn't get it in writing.

Any witnesses to the conversation?

no just in text messge. He even texted me this morning and said i know we agreed on an ealry end to the lease but now im going to keep your security deposit.

Quote Quoting brynneg
    View Post
    no just in text messge. He even texted me this morning and said i know we agreed on an ealry end to the lease but now im going to keep your security deposit.
    The text message would constitute evidence of his agreement.

Just make sure you preserve it. Perhaps photograph the phone with the message on the screen.

Chances are that you will have to sue him in small claims court.

Read the PA landlord tenant statute for the security deposit rules:

http://www.thelpa.com/PA_landlord_tenant_act.pdf

At the moment, though, you would be wise to just not pay for the final month and let him apply the security deposit if he wants to. Then, if he takes any legal action you can address that when it happens.

Op can post text message if further help is needed ... really need to see what exactly, word for word, as to what was communicated

1. Sponsored Links