Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs down Can a Pregnant Teen Move Out if There is Abuse Occuring in the Household

My question involves child abuse or neglect in the State of: Texas
    [INDENT] I am fifteen years old and four months pregnant. I'll be due around late January, and will turn 16 in early January. The household I live in is in no condition to raise a child. My parents are separated, but live under the same roof. I have an older sister who is a bit of a hothead and use to lay her hands on me before I found out I was pregnant. My younger brother is still physically and emotionally abusive towards me even now that he knows of my condition, and my mom ignores it because she thinks he is still the baby of the house. My dad also use to beat my mom, but hasn't hit her since my 12th birthday. My dad doesn't physically abuse my mother anymore, but is still very controlling. No one in our family is allowed to leave the house without his permission, and leaving to hang out with friends has never been permitted for my siblings and I. My siblings and I stay in our room most of the day so as not to get yelled at by out father. His disciplinary actions are also sever to my siblings and I. He hits us with chains, hangers, wires, electric box, and any metal object laying around. The household we live in is pretty bad.
    [INDENT] My dad still does not yet know about my pregnancy, because of the fear my mom and I have towards him. I worry that when I tell him he will hurt me, my family, or my baby. My mom doesn't earn enough to rent an apartment for all four of us (not including my soon to come daughter), so moving out is almost impossible. My baby's dad is not involved and is not fit to be a parent. He smokes, drinks, party's, and is always getting arrested. I'm not worried about him as much anymore, because I am worried about what I'm going to have to do to provide and take care of my daughter.
    [INDENT] Could I move out of this household and into a friend's house who I've known since elementary? Her parent's are aware of my situation and have there doors open for me to move in. I'll let my dad know of course before I leave, but could I still leave even if he doesn't allow me to leave? If I stay there is no way my daughter will be raised in a healthy environment.

Default Re: Can a Pregnant Teen Move Out if There is Abuse Occuring in the Household

You can leave as long as your parents agree.
    Otherwise, you live with them.

If you're being abused contact child protective services.

Default Re: Can a Pregnant Teen Move Out if There is Abuse Occuring in the Household

Honestly, getting knocked indicates dad does not control you enough. Further, it indicates you are the last person that can be deemed responsible or reliable in the home.

I will admit I use to sneak out at night, and got pregnant when doing that. But when you are another strict authority, it's in a teen's nature to rebel against their parents. Although, it is very uncalled for you to say that about me, and I don't appreciate your opinion on me with the little amount that you know of me.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the feedback.

Quote Quoting your_lil_angel
    View Post
    I will admit I use to sneak out at night, and got pregnant when doing that. But when you are another strict authority, it's in a teen's nature to rebel against their parents. Although, it is very uncalled for you to say that about me, and I don't appreciate your opinion on me with the little amount that you know of me.

- - - Updated - - -

This may come as a huge surprise to you, but most well-raised teens don't sneak out at night and become pregnant.

Your words speak for themselves. You need more, not less, adult supervision.

The legally correct answer to your question is that until you are 18, you live where your parents say you live and you cannot move out unless they say you can. Getting pregnant does not change the law and there are not special laws for pregnant teenagers.

The only exception to the above is if the state sees fit to remove you from your home, in which case you will live where the state says you live until you are 18 and you will have much less freedom than you have now.

If you attempt to move out anyway, your friend and his family can find themselves in jail.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Your dad can't control you too much if you were able to get pregnant at 15 years old so that leaves that argument moot. You left the house for something and I'm guessing you didn't get pregnant in English class or at the library. And expect your dad to go ballistic when he finds out you're pregnant. Any parent with 2 connected brain cells would when they found out that their irresponsible, uneducated, unemployed child is pregnant with a child she can't support on her own therefore bringing a financial strain on the ENTIRE family by HER selfish decisions.

And before you say something else foolish, I'm probably one of the strictest parents I know of. My son has managed to get to adulthood without knocking anyone up, having a drink of alcohol, never smoking and a virgin. Why? Because he knows his mother is crazy as hell and will beat the s**t outta him if he did.

Whether you appreciate the opinions, they are based on fact. I am sure we could find some nice things to say, had you provided information regarding them. That does not change the legal realities based on these things.

Quote Quoting your_lil_angel
    View Post

- - - Updated - - -

He hits us with chains, hangers, wires, electric box, and any metal object laying around.
    If this is true call the police and report the abuse,

Babies having a baby with another baby who you claim isn't fit to be a father. Just who do you expect to pay for all of the necessities? Babies are expensive. Diapers, formula, clothing, cribs, check ups, medical care, car seats - it's all expensive.

Not to mention the fact that you claim your household is unfit for you, meaning it's unfit for a baby.

You are a minor and as others before have said, you live where your parents say you live until you turn 18.

If you are determined to have this child have you considered putting him / her up for adoption to a couple who wants a baby and can provide everything you cannot provide emotionally and financially?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast