Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Quit to Due Change of Hours, and Denied Unemployment

They agreed to your starting salary at hire, too. But at some point, you would expect that to be changed - you would expect a raise.

This is no different legally. You're finding it different because it's a change that benefits your employer and not one that benefits you, like a raise would be. But legally it is no less valid.

What I'm failing to understand, is that if I state my availability and am hired, my employer is agreeing to work me during those hours. If they choose to change that agreement by changing my shift, why should I be the one penalized? They are now in a position where instead of decreasing hours and forcing someone to quit, they will know that they need only deliberately schedule someone against their availability (teens in high school, etc.) and avoid any penalties for unemployment.

Changing my pay rate (raise) would be an agreed upon change by both parties (they are offering me money and I'm happy to take it). Changing my schedule and our established agreement is certainly within their rights, but I should be able to refuse without being penalized because the change was WORK RELATED and not personal. This was a change/issue on their end, not mine (I didn't run out of gas, sleep through my alarm, or have my sitter quit).

Changing my pay rate (raise) would be an agreed upon change by both parties (they are offering me money and I'm happy to take it). Changing my schedule and our established agreement is certainly within their rights, but I should be able to refuse without being penalized because the change was WORK RELATED and not personal. This was a change/issue on their end, not mine (I didn't run out of gas, sleep through my alarm, or have my sitter quit)
    actually, changing your pay rate is in their sole discretion. They can increase it OR decrease it as they choose. You can stay with the new pay or you can refuse and resign.

Yes, but that's not necessarily a bar to collecting UI.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    an employer is allowed to change your schedule to fit their needs unless you have a contract stating otherwise.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

The OP seems to believe that her employer can't change your work schedule based on the needs of the company. I still am going to assert that there are millions of people who are raising autistic kids, severely retarded children, children with no limbs, etc. who need child care. You didn't go look. You didn't check references. You just saw... I can't work so I'll quit.

You may want to ask your job if you can get your work together if you can get your daycare together
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

Quote Quoting chyvan
    View Post
    Yes, but that's not necessarily a bar to collecting UI.
    true. sometimes it is; sometimes it isn't.

apparently to the powers that be, so far, believe it is in this case.

all OP can do is file any applicable appeal and chase it through the maze. She may end up with UI but then again, she may not.

but that one statement was an argument to counter her claim of; but I told them I was only available after 7 implying that the employer could not alter her schedule.

The OP is asserting that she doesn't have to accept the employer changes. I agree that the argument because I didn't accept my employer's changes, and I got UI, but I had a really long wait that involved two deputy, two tribunal, and 3 board of review appeals.

She's already quit her job so she either sees it through or gives up, but I don't believe she quit her job because of "child care." The root cause was the employer's unilateral schedule change.

Quote Quoting chyvan
    View Post
    She's already quit her job so she either sees it through or gives up, but I don't believe she quit her job because of "child care." The root cause was the employer's unilateral schedule change.
    really?

While I did quit, I believe I had no choice. I can't leave a toddler at home alone and they knew I couldn't work those hours
    There was NO WAY I could leave for work at 3:30 a.m. as there was no daycare available and I would be in bed at night before my son.

I suspect the state is also concerned with what the OP did to attempt to work those hours. If she simply said; nope, not going to do it, I suspect she will continue to lose. If she took steps to attempt to get daycare and whatever, I wouldn't be surprised to see it approved.

Quote Quoting UnemployedAgain
    View Post

and that is from what state?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast