Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default Reaction to Pesticides

    My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of:
    California.
    Our pest control company sprayed as usual, but this time was different. At first my wife and I got very dizzy and then a headache started so I called the company to find out if the pest man had done anything different this time because in all the years we have had them this hasn't happened before. They got a hold of our spray man and he said that his machine was not working and that he had to use a backpack sprayer. We don't allow them to spray in the house because of the cat's, and we close all the windows until the chemical dries. My Wife doesn't like chemicals so she stayed indoors. He has our permission to spray in the garage and the shed. About a half hour later I went into the garage and shed to my work. That evening and early the next morning I felt nausea, blurred vision, bloody nose, tremors. I decided to check my self into the ER. They said I had Toxic Ingestion, gave me a shot and some pills, an x-ray, EKG, and drew blood and waited a short time before telling me I could go home without any hospital care at this time. They gave me a prescription, MECLIZINE 25mg. and prescribed bed rest 24 hours.
    I would like to get my money back for the ER visit and Medication.
    Thank You In advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,988

    Default Re: Toxic Ingestion

    you paid them to spray poison, they came and sprayed poison.

    what mistake do you believe they made?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Behind a Desk
    Posts
    98,846

    Default Re: Reaction to Pesticides

    You need to start by telling us what pesticide was used. Also, what was found in your toxicology screening at the ER? "Toxic ingestion" is noted as the reason you gave for coming to the E.R., or is that their actual diagnosis - and if the latter, based upon what medical evidence? The term "ingestion" indicates that a toxin got into your body by mouth. Why would they recite that you ingested a toxin, when you are telling us about passive exposure? They gave you a shot of what?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    38,867

    Default Re: Toxic Ingestion

    It would be a big stretch to claim liability on the spraying company. As lehk said; you hired them to spray poison, they sprayed poison.

    especially if this is the same poison they have always used, your claim is diminished even more.

    the only things I can see that might allow a claim:

    they used a chemical against manufacturers recommendations

    they never gave you any warnings the possible dangers of the chemicals and any sort of waiting time or special means of PPE to use when in the area they sprayed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Behind a Desk
    Posts
    98,846

    Default Re: Toxic Ingestion

    It would be helpful to know what chemical was used. I guess the theory here is that the backup sprayer used, or was contaminated with, a different pesticide than usual?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    38,867

    Default Re: Toxic Ingestion

    Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    It would be helpful to know what chemical was used. I guess the theory here is that the backup sprayer used, or was contaminated with, a different pesticide than usual?
    hadn't thought of that possibility. Very good point.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Reaction to Pesticides

    Thank you for your reply. The pesticide was Deltamethrin and 1,2 Propanediol. The diagnosis was insecticide exposure. The Shot was a steroid Decadron .

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Behind a Desk
    Posts
    98,846

    Default Re: Reaction to Pesticides

    Your described symptoms aren't suggestive of exposure to either Deltamethrin or 1,2 Propanediol, unless perhaps you were drinking out of the sprayer - if this was the exterminator, odds are it was a different pesticide than those you know about. Have you tried reporting your experience to any public health agencies, such as the Department of Public Health, as they may be able to investigate to see if anybody else on the exterminator's route had similar symptoms.

    1. Sponsored Links
       

Similar Threads

  1. Defective Drugs and Medications: Can You Sue Over a Bad Reaction to a Prescription Drug
    By higuy in forum Accidents and Injuries
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-27-2013, 03:23 PM
  2. Medical Malpractice: Lidocaine Reaction
    By ortsa in forum Malpractice Law
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-18-2011, 01:50 PM
  3. Premises Liability: Wrong House Sprayed with Pesticides
    By ChrisTek in forum Accidents and Injuries
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 07:50 AM
  4. Medical Malpractice: Allergic Reaction To Medication
    By outnumbered in forum Malpractice Law
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 05:44 AM
  5. Other Violations: Driving Under-Reaction
    By wendywardlow in forum Moving Violations, Parking and Traffic Tickets
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-27-2005, 02:49 PM
 
 
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources