Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How To Collect Money If The Debtor Has No Money In The Bank

I won the small claim case one month ago. The debtor owed me $1200, I know his bank branch, but his bank balance is negative. If I file writ of execution to take money from his bank account, will I get any money back? Will his bank account get frozen?

I don't know where he works. I just know his current address, but it's in another county. How can I get my money back? Thanks

Default Re: How to collect money if the debtor has no money in bank?

I am also afraid if I don't file writ of execution now, what if he quickly closes this bank account? Then I won't know which new bank he will open.

I don't know what state you are in, but generally about 99% of small claims cases go uncollected.

File the execution as soon as possible but don't expect much.

In fact, why don't you sell the judgment to a collection agency?

Quote Quoting seniorjudge
    View Post
    I don't know what state you are in, but generally about 99% of small claims cases go uncollected.

File the execution as soon as possible but don't expect much.

In fact, why don't you sell the judgment to a collection agency?
    I am in California. I want to file writ of execution soon. But I found his bank balance is negative. so that means I can't get any money out of his bank?

I am thinking of hiring a collection agency. My only concern is if the collection agency didn't collect any money back, did I still need to pay collection agency?

If he has a negative bank balance, he has no money in his account for you to get.

You will enter into a contract with the collection agency which will define how it will be compensated for its services.

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    If he has a negative bank balance, he has no money in his account for you to get.

You will enter into a contract with the collection agency which will define how it will be compensated for its services.
    Some collection agency said "No recovery, No Fee", I hope there is no hidden cost. Besides, Can collection agency find out where he works? I only have the debtor's driver license copy, I don't have his SSN. Thanks

Quote Quoting rose_bullet
    View Post
    Some collection agency said "No recovery, No Fee", I hope there is no hidden cost. Besides, Can collection agency find out where he works? I only have the debtor's driver license copy, I don't have his SSN. Thanks
    Make sure you understand everything in writing before you sign a contract with a collection agency.

If you do not understand it, then do not sign it.

Period.

End of story.

Even if.

(By the way, hiring a collection agency will not make this person get any assets. If the person is broke, you will get nothing.)

View Post
    Make sure you understand everything in writing before you sign a contract with a collection agency.

If you do not understand it, then do not sign it.

Period.

End of story.

Even if.

(By the way, hiring a collection agency will not make this person get any assets. If the person is broke, you will get nothing.)
    Thanks, I don't think this person is broke, he said he has part time job now. But he didn't tell me where he works. I think in a few months or a year maybe he will find a full time job. I want to know how to find where this person works.

Quote Quoting rose_bullet
    View Post
    Thanks, I don't think this person is broke, he said he has part time job now. But he didn't tell me where he works. I think in a few months or a year maybe he will find a full time job. I want to know how to find where this person works.
    Hire a private detective.

View Post
    Hire a private detective.
    Thanks, I thought collection agency could find out where the person works. If collection agency only write letters and make phone calls, how can they still stay in business? I think collection agency must have a network, they can find out where he works and his bank.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast