Default Charged With Marijuana Somebody Left in My Car

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of Arizona.
    I was in Phoenix. I met with a guy off craigslist at a gas station to buy a gaming console. Under cover agents believed it to be some sort of illegal transaction. I am hispanic and the young man with the xbox is black. I feel like I was profiled.
    I was stalked for a few miles. When I was allegedly speeding there were 2-3 other vehicles going the same speed and 1 passing. When the marked police vehicle showed up he passed the other speeding vehicles and instead of going after the one infront driving at 80+ he came after me.
    Once pulled over the officer told me that undercovers watched me and waited until i made any mistake to pull me over.

I feel like my rights were violated. Am i wrong?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Charged With Marijuana Somebody Left in My Car

My question involves criminal law for the state of Arizona.
    I would like to know if I can obtain my MMJ card and use that as a defense.
    Would it work?

I was pulled over after undercover cops thought i was purshasing something illegal.

A few miles later while speeding along with other cars and one exceeding our speeds a marked police vehicle singled me out. I was told by them that the undercovers saw me pick up the black bag (xbox) from another young man at the gas station.

They searched my gfs car and found a small amount of marijuana and some paraphanalia.

Was it an illegal search and seizure?
    I do plan on getting my medical card either way, but would if help in dropping those charges?

Default Re: Undercovers Assumed an Illegal Transaction. Many Other Speeding, Only I Was Detai

Quote Quoting NeedAdviceHere
    View Post
    I feel like I was profiled.
    Do you mean profiled as someone who might be involved in a transaction that was initiated through what most people know to be the shadiest website that ever existed? Or profiled as a speeder?

Because speeders are not a protected class. Meaning cops can profile you if they have any suspicion you could be, have been or will be speeding.

And an officer is not obligated to stop every violator. If he had been measuring your speed which would imply that he was watching you, not the other drivers; why would he pull them over?

But here is where your story start to sound like its made up...

View Post
    showed up he passed the other speeding vehicles and instead of going after the one infront driving at 80+ he came after me.
    If he passed the other speeding vehicle, then you were up front... You and others were speeding, he passed the others, that leaves you. And its a known fact that the front of the pack often sets the pace or is going the fastest

View Post
    showed up he passed the other speeding vehicles and instead of going after the one infront driving at 80+ he came after me.
    You mean excluding all the others, there was still another driver in front with you?

That said, even if you were profiled, apparently your story makes no mention of being arrested or summoned for anything that you were profiled for. You were cited for an offence you appear to admit to committing.

View Post
    Well, what rights would those be... Help us out here because I am not seeing it!

View Post
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    This might help.... Forget the idea that your speeding ticket will have a chance at a dismissal because of some profiling or discrimination claim. It ain't gonna happen!

But with all that said, here is a hint for you that you can either put to good use, or you can ignore it until something happens to remind you of it... Detective and/or undercover cops don't hang out at gas stations looking for people conducting shady deals. I'm not saying you were there doing that... I'm just sayin'!

Default Re: Charged With Marijuana Somebody Left in My Car

Discrimination would be the hispanic guy selling the black guy mj. For it to be discrimination, the black guy had to be selling the hispanic guy crack.

View Post
    My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of Arizona.
    I was in Phoenix. I met with a guy off craigslist at a gas station to buy a gaming console. Under cover agents believed it to be some sort of illegal transaction. I am hispanic and the young man with the xbox is black. I feel like I was profiled.
    You can feel anything you like, but unless you can show that the ONLY reason you were contacted was because of your race that argument is moot.

I was stalked for a few miles. When I was allegedly speeding there were 2-3 other vehicles going the same speed and 1 passing. When the marked police vehicle showed up he passed the other speeding vehicles and instead of going after the one infront driving at 80+ he came after me.
    Once pulled over the officer told me that undercovers watched me and waited until i made any mistake to pull me over.

No they were not.

If you were believed to have violated your state's vehicle law, they may initiate a detention regardless of what their subjective intent might have been. Clearly they were looking for a reason to stop you because the plain clothes officers believed you had been involved in some sort of illicit transaction. The fact that others were speeding is not a defense to the charge, sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of Arizona.
    I would like to know if I can obtain my MMJ card and use that as a defense.
    Would it work?
    Maybe. But, since you didn't have it at the time, maybe not.

They searched my gfs car and found a small amount of marijuana and some paraphanalia.
    Next time, before you borrow someone's car, check it out.

Was it an illegal search and seizure?
    That depends on why they searched the car.

Did you give consent? Were you under arrest?

Did you object when they asked if they could search it? Are you on probation or parole? Is your girlfriend on probation or parole? Was anyone else in the car on probation or parole?
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Of course you realize you should be mad at your girlfriend if the drugs and paraphernalia were not yours.

1. Sponsored Links