Default Sewer Running Through Neighbors Yard

My question involves an easement in the state of: Oklahoma

I have been searching for a few days but have not found anything close to my question in Oklahoma.

I just bought this house in Oct 2012. It is my first home and I am very new to this so bare with me. I have not checked yet to see if there are any listed easements with my neighbor but I will check later this afternoon.

So here is the issue.
    My house is about 100ft from the back of my property line. I live on a corner lot. Our sewer line is clogged up(most likely roots) i have two cleanouts, one by the house and one at the edge of my property line, the clog is after my property more than the 105' that the plumber's snake could reach. It pulled out a lot of roots and he was able to track the line through my neighbors backyard all the way across to the back of his property. The clog must be somewhere past the 105 and he estimated about another 15-20 ft to the cities line.

There is no alley or city easement in my general area. Fences run along everyones property lines and the city line runs through everyones backyards further down the block and unfortunately not close enough to my property so I have to run 225' from my house.

So im looking at some major repairs and I am not 100% sure I should be the one to pay them. The line is clay, and my plumber wants to replace the whole section in neighbors yard, they seem like nice people and I do not foresee and issue with them allowing me to do so but I also do not want to force them to pay for this repair either.

Several people from work have said that the city will deny it is thier issue to fix, but if i am persistant enough that they will admit to being responsible for anything not on my property and take care of it. When searching I found this to be true in some states but nothing so far about Oklahoma.

This house has recently had everything replaced (except sewer line i guess) prior to me buying. I paid a lot more than I intended when looking for a first house with the belief that I would at least have some time to save up for major repairs.
    Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Sewer Running Through Neighbors Yard

RootX. Don't breath the dust.

Quote Quoting Disagreeable
    View Post
    RootX. Don't breath the dust.
    Well that would be great for keeping the roots from coming back, however only a temporary fix and I would need to disclose the issue when I sell this house in the future. (I was hoping I could get city to fix at thier cost so this would no longer be an issue)

Would this work on the roots causing the clog even though the entire system is backed up, roots at least 110ft from my last cleanout and the entire line is full.

The city is responsible for the main sewer line. They can inspect that if you request it. You are responsible for your line, including through the easement to the attachment point.

1. Sponsored Links