Default How Long Do You Have to Hold Your Ex's Property After Divorce

My divorce was finalized in the middle of august. My ex has not lived in the house since June 1st; however, some of the possessions are still located inside the house. I have contacted my ex numerous times via text message and face-to-face when we went to court for the hearing asking to have the remaining possessions removed. My ex claims that since both names are on the title and mortgage that this person has rights to leave possessions there. My ex has not made any payments on house since the move out date and I'm currently in the process of an assumption to legally put the house into my name. In Michigan, how long do I need to hold onto my ex's possessions until they would legally become my possessions or to get rid of my ex's possessions?

Default Re: Time Period to Hold Onto Possessions from Divorce

Quote Quoting legalhelp2005
    View Post
    My divorce was finalized in the middle of august. My ex has not lived in the house since June 1st; however, some of the possessions are still located inside the house. I have contacted my ex numerous times via text message and face-to-face when we went to court for the hearing asking to have the remaining possessions removed. My ex claims that since both names are on the title and mortgage that this person has rights to leave possessions there. My ex has not made any payments on house since the move out date and I'm currently in the process of an assumption to legally put the house into my name. In Michigan, how long do I need to hold onto my ex's possessions until they would legally become my possessions or to get rid of my ex's possessions?
    I suggest you send your Ex a certified letter (RRR), letting them know that they have 30 days with which to pick up their items. After that time you will put all their items in storage in their name and with their contact information. You will pay for 30 days of storage after which they can either continue to pay the storage bill or forefeit them to the storage company.

After you send the letter, I suggest you follow through.

1. Sponsored Links